Saturday, August 02, 2008

 

The Floss

Sometime back in 2001 (or whatever year the Angels won the World Series...), me and Quinn went to Anaheim for a Tenacious D show.

I love The D and was really excited to see one of my favorite bands live. I didn't expect to like the opening act so much: Supafloss. The Floss is sort of a hip hop/rap version of Tenacious D. I make fun of the genre a lot, and that's sort of what they're doing here. Yet, I don't think you can be as effective at this sort of thing without a genuine appreciation for the real thing. It's not so much making fun of the genre, but making fun of (and having with) the stereotypes and expectations of attending a hip hop show.

I had a lot of Floss on mp3, but I just bought their eponymous 2006 release. Very cool stuff indeed. "Chuck Norris" is there, of course (I don't know how this didn't get bigger with a Republican candidate for President being so closely associated with Norris). Lots of other cool stuff here too, like "Who We Are" (with a freestyle rap by the Memphis Dragon MC Pete, whoever the hell that is) and "I Love it When they Bounce" (which isn't about boobies).

Very enjoyable stuff, check out their site

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives