Tuesday, June 17, 2008

 
If you put me in a room of 100 people, I will most likely be the smartest guy in the room. I've never said that to anyone, I've never said it in a room containing myself and 99 other people, that would be terribly rude. I may be an asshole, but there are some things that even I won't do.

It's true though. I used to be able to produce documentation that this is the case. I used to carry a card in my wallet that confirmed this. That was really sort of pointless though. Now I just try to act intelligently and hope people notice.

I don't constantly correct people anymore. That was a big personal shortcoming in the past and I'm trying to completely rid myself of that personality fault. If someone asks a question and I have the correct answer, I will offer it.

If I don't have an answer to a question, I won't offer any. If someone asks me a direct question that I don't have a correct answer for, I will indicate that I don't know the correct answer. If I offer a guess to said question, I will indicate it as such - only a guess and why I believe it MAY be the correct answer.

I have integrity. I am an honest person. I have never been able to produce documentation confirm this, I've never carried a card in my wallet that indicates this, but it is, never the less, true. Oddly, having my integrity questioned doesn't bother me nearly as much as having my intelligence questioned. I don't know why this is. Maybe it's because most people aren't all that honest and I understand that people need to watch out for their own interests when they are promised something. I know I do.

I honor other people's intelligence. If I find myself in a situation where I am not the smartest guy in the room, I am able to deal with that. Testing for Jeopardy! was fun for me because chances were very great that I wasn't the smartest guy in the room. I also didn't need to hold back like I do in my every day life. I respect intelligence out of anyone who displays it.

I do not assume that anyone is an idiot until they give me a reason to believe so. This was not always easy for me. I've worked with lots of people who didn't speak English as a first language. I find that the way a person speaks is a good indicator of intelligence, but that usually breaks down when someone is using their second language.

On the other hand, speaking more than one language doesn't necessarily indicate intelligence. I won't bother to offer examples.

If I take the effort to open my mouth and say something, it's most likely correct and true. I don't think that's ever been respected about me. It certainly isn't being respected right now.

I respect other people's intelligence. I would like mine respected as well.

BOJ

...of course, expecting people to treat me the way I treat them is just a sign of my arrogance...



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives