Friday, June 06, 2008

 

Don't Mess with a Classic

I just watched the "Turkeys Away" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati, you know, the one where a Cincinnati mall parking lot is bombed with live turkeys. It's a TV classic, made all the more special by Les Nessman's (Richard Sanders) description of the event on live radio.

It got me to thinking about how this scene would have been done if WKRP were in production today. Undoubtedly, through the magic of CGI, we'd be treated to actual video of turkeys "...hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" The beautiful simplicity of the scene would be lost. The scene would suffer. It would be shocking, funny even, but it would not be a classic.

Sometimes less (or Les) is more. I watched a remake of The Andromeda Strain last week. It had been turned from a Psychological thriller into a poor attempt at Action/Adventure. This made for TV movie had an effects budget that surely dwarfed that of the original. It certainly didn't make the story any better.

It's no better when George Lucas screws with his own movies. What the hell was wrong with the original Star Wars? How many times has Lucas fucked with it? Yes, the enhanced scenes are cool, but really, what did it add to the movie? As far as I'm concerned, nothing.

I have nothing against special effects. They can certainly enhance a film when used properly. So can good acting and fantastic dialogue.

BOJ

Comments:
BOJ,

I completely agree with you.

I remember watching this episode when it first aired and my mother and I fell off the couch we were laughing so hard. I recently put it on my IPod and showed to my 15 year old and she thought it was hilarious too. ~Classic. ~Yma
 
I totally agree, one of the best episodes of the series. And the series is one of my top 10. Hey, there's a top 10 list for you!

I also agree with the remake and enhancement shit, this goes for music as well.

Sure I've heard some great covers (I love Metallica's versions of Turn The Page, Tuesdays Gone, and Whiskey In The Jar from their Garage Inc release), but some songs are just sacred - American Pie by Don McLean - a timeless piece about a tragedy of that era. Madonna should rot for her shitty attempt at that one.

Some films and shows are just as sacred. I think they should have left Superman alone after Reeves had his accident, frankly they never should have done THOSE either after the original 50's films. Get Smart cannot be done as cheesy and perfect as it was 20 years ago (I'm boycotting the new one). The Producers remake was fun but damn it wasn't great... imagine if they tried to redo other Mel Brooks movies like Blazing Saddles or SpaceBalls? I shudder at the thought.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives