Tuesday, February 19, 2008

 

Help!

I don't ask for help often or very well. Two years ago, this wasn't much of a problem. I could do anything. I was a little bit heavy but in decent shape and awfully strong. I was the guy that other people asked for help. If you needed something heavy lifted, I was your man.

With MS those days are gone, of course. I have a hard enough time dealing with the day-to-day crap in my life. I still try to do things myself as much as possible. When it comes to moving a residence over 100 miles, that's a little too much to ask.

My dad was unable to help as he's booked up pretty solid right now. Plus my mom is in the hospital with a bacterial infection. That pretty much takes my whoe family out of the equation.

I'd found a really good deal on a 26' rental truck. It was a great deal until I realized that I couldn't carry anything to the cheap truck, that once I arrived at my destination, I wouldn't be able to unload the same. A rental truck was out of the question.

I looked into movers. Expensive, not because I have a huge amount of stuff or because of distance, but because 7 miles south I'll cross a state line which means I have to go with a company licensed to operate in all 50 states. There are weigh stations to deal with. Everything has to be correct or there's lots of trouble.

In the end I went with a moving company. It's costing me way too much money, but I think it will be worth it. I will have a load in my car, but that's all I'll have to deal with. I should be somewhat refreshed after my move as I begin unpacking my boxes.

To save money, I packed myself. I still had boxes from previous moves, broken down and under my bed. It's funny the things you think of when you've lived 27 (soon to be 28) different places in your life. I've packid things up and packed them well. I'm ready for the movers on Friday.

And I did it myself.

That's not to say I had no help. My parents were supportive and have loaned me money for the move. My dad put an engine in my Subaru in just 3 days, so him agreeing to lend money says a lot about the situation he was in. I learned to do things for myself from my parents and it was a great lesson to learn. I just can't do it anymore, though.

They've been emotionally supportive as well. As I would end each day, completely worn out from packing boxes, I would call them just to talk. They were always there for me. In the end, that's really all I needed, someone to talk to, someone to support me and help me through a difficult time.

I had other support as well, but it fell through. Maybe I'll try to pick up the pieces after I get moved. Maybe I won't. I really feel like I got left on my own on Sunday morning and I'm very upset about it. I was told to deal with all of this shit on my own.

Which I did.

I screwed up my back the day before. My mom went into the hospital on Sunday. Despite the steroid treatment a while back, I feel like shit every day. And I got everything done all by myself. I was told, under bad conditions - even for me, to do things for myself.

I did. I did like I always do.

BOJ



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives