Thursday, February 07, 2008

 

ESPN Radio

Far be it for me to praise a Disney property, but for the most part, I really like ESPN Radio. I don't like everything about it, I don't like everything about ESPN in general, but I really like ESPN Radio better than the other sports talk options.

Before I got my iPod, ESPN radio was constantly on my car radio. At first I listened to the Denver station to get my sports talk fix, but the Denver station switched to Sporting News Radio at the beginning of 2007. Also, they ran some truly horrible local shows that I just couldn't stand. I tried to listen, but the Sporting News option was not pleasant to me.

Fox, of course, also has a sports talk radio outlet. If anything, it's worse than sporting news, though, truthfully, I've been able to avoid it pretty effectively.

tony
I started listening to ESPN to hear Tony Korneiser. I loved Kornheiser because it wasn't just sports, it was a lot of social thought, politics. There was sports, of course, but it wasn't only sports. Tony quit ESPN Radio a few years ago. He now does a show similar to his old show on Washington Post radio. I catch it when I can, but I generally don't get to hear it.


Kornheiser was replaced on ESPN by Colin Cowherd, who I have stated many times that I don't like. Part of that is because he replaced Kornheiser. Mostly it's because he's
herd
a fucking idiot. As a host, I expect you to use the English language well. Maybe holding Cowherd to what I expected out of Kornheiser wasn't fair as Tony is an excellent writer, a Washington Post columnist with a couple of books under his belt. Cowherd does not use the language well, mispronounces easy words, misuses words. He knows sports well enough, but his difficulties with the language make his show difficult for me to listen to.



ek
Today for whatever reason, Cowherd was replaced by Eric Kuselias. I really like Kuselias, his afternoon show was great. It's not a perminant thing, ESPN loves Cowherd for some reason. No, Kuselias is without a regular radio gig for a while. Too bad as today's "The Herd" show was bearable. His ESPN bio lists Brown as Kuselias' alma mater. Brown. In the Ivy League. Cowherd? No alama mater listed. Just a radio schmuck. It shows.

I don't work in radio. I don't know what people like. Hell, I liked Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football. I know what I like, though, and I think ESPN radio underestimates the intelligence of their listeners. They have to if Cowherd has a job and Kornheiser and Kuselias don't.

BOJ

...I think it's the "hard-K" sound...

Comments:
Cowherd just seems artificial. Take a strong position, and if it can ruffle all the better. That seems to be SOP in talk radio these days along with co-hosts must always disagree. His problem with this motif is that it lacks entertainment value to me and I have trouble buying into the persona, whereas the ESPN morning people seem to pull it off.

The subject of the current podcast of 'This American Life', which should remain available for a few more days is quiz shows.
 
Well, you agreed with me without kissing my ass, so I thank you. Cowherd does seem artificial. The only thing honest about him seems to be his extreme lack of intelligence. He can be funny, though usually it doesn't work for me.

The interesting thing is that you were accessing this blog from

z-128-217.echostar.com (204.76.128.217)

from 00:49:55 until 01:38:52 (probably later as your comment posted even after that).

Your company policy states:

In addition, employees are prohibited from:

1. Conducting blogging activities with Echostar resources and/or on company time;

2. Representing any opinion or statement as the policy or view of the Company or of any individual in their capacity as an employee or otherwise on behalf of the Company; and

3. Making disparaging or defamatory comments about (Company name), its employees, officers, directors,
vendors, customers, partners, affiliates, or our or their products/services.


Watch yourself. Reading any blog, but particularly this one could be bad for your career.

From the times you were looking, you're probably not management, since the people who make so much more money than you are fast asleep in their cozy beds during that time.

They find this shit out though, so watch yourself.
 
The linkage of my comment to the IP address was in error. You should find that I'm coming from somewhere beginning with 208. I enjoy your blog and typically open it when I'm opening multiple other SD blogs at the same time. I would hesitate to work for a company that stole TiVo.
 
Apologies are in order. If someone accused me of working for those Dish bastards, I'd be fightin' mad!

You must not be showing up in my statcounter routine, which is fine with me. I can usually tell which IP made a comment and I couldn't this time. Man, I look like an ass when I assume.

And for the record, didn't you see the press release? They didn't steal Tivo, they developeded something exactly like Tivo, that produces exactly the same results using exactly the same technology, but did it independently. Apparently, no one at dish had ever even heard of Tivo...

Their lawyers are so good that they could get away with, oh, I don't know, something crazy and unthinkable, fire a guy because he has MS...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives