Wednesday, January 09, 2008

 

Things I Can't Do

I try, I really try not to focus on the things I can't do because of my MS. I'm still really capable, but it's little things that make my life tough. A few thing came up this wek that got me to thinking.

So here's a couple of things I can't do:

  • Type for Long Periods of Time
    I love blogging. I still do, but not as much as I used to. Why? Because it takes forever. I'm typing fine with my left hand right now, but but I'm hunting and pecking with my right because I don't have full control of my right side. I still have as much to say, it's just harder to say.


  • Open Mics
    Oh, I could, I suppose, but by myself, I can't hold a pick long enough to finish a set. I still play guitar around my apartment, but doing it in front of people scares me. I don't want to have to explain myself, particularly when I wasn't a very good guitar player to begin with


  • Take a Bike Ride
    I can't tell you how much I used to enjoy this and how much I miss it. I've never been an overly athletic person, my rides weren't strenuous, but very relaxed. I would take long rides, not measuring the miles, but the time out. Grab a lunch, eat it on the side of the trail. So pleasurable, so missed.


  • Take a Long Drive
    So if I can't ride my bike, maybe a ong drive would suffice. No chance. I drove down to Denver on Monday and I was so beat by the time I got to la Güera's. Long drives are hard on me. It's hard for me to drive the 5 hours to see my family.


  • Stand
    Oh, I can stand, just not for long periods of time. And it's not the standing that I miss, it's the things I do in which I have to stand like cooking. I make a great fried rice, but it requires me to stand for the entire cooking process. Shopping, going to parties, meeting new people all require standing. And I can't do it.


  • Shake Hands
    I was in Denver on Monday for a job interview. I think I did well but at the end I shook hands with people. My handshake was that wussy handshake that I hate in other people. I never was that guy who challenged people with a handshake, but tried to offer a firm handshake. I now hate my handshake.


  • Not a comprehensive list by any means, just the things I could think of right now.

    BOJ

    Labels:




    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    The Bert Convey
    Principle
    Friends' Blogs
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: United States

    I'm not telling you anything...

    archives