Sunday, January 13, 2008

 

The Amazing Race

I've dedicated a good amount of web space to things I like about
[someone], so I think it's only right to spend at least a little time on things I don't like about her. This will probably adversly affect our relationship,but I'm nothing if not honest. If something needs saying, I've never been affraid to say it. With that, I've always faced up to the consequences.

Toward the end of 2007, I was at laGüera's one Sunday evening. We had finished watching a Broncos game together (one of the things I adore about her) at her brother's house when she stated that she wanted to go back home, make same supper and watch The Amazing Race.

In a rare bit of restraint, I didn't laugh out loud, I didn't make fun of her for wanting to watch a reality show. [someone] is a good cook and I was hungry, I knew that making fun of her would seriously cut into the possibility of me getting a meal.

We ate and settled in to watch the program. I was not at all excited. I had prided myself in the fact that I'd never watched an entire episode of Survivor or American Idol or any other piece of reality crap. That ended that night.


race
A weird thing happened though, I actually enjoyed myself. I found myself rooting, usually against idiotic teams (like "the blonds" - Oh how I hated them...), but I found myself somewhat engaged in the program. I despise the reality format but somehow found myself watching and enjoyingThe Amazing Race.

So I watched a reality show one time to get a good meal. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, does it? The next week we watched together again. Again, I enjoyed myself. I enjoyed making fun of Ron & Christina ("Ow! My hernia!"), I learned to hate Nate & Jen, I actually found myself pulling for Nick & Donald. Still, I was only watching when I was with [someone] and there was a meal involved.

Last week, I watched The Amazing Race all on my own. I watched the whole episode, did the same things I had done on previous weeks. I even called [someone]afterward and we discussed the episode. Guess what, I think I'm hooked.

I still think that the reality format is fundamentally flawed, the Heisenberg Uncertainty applying, namely, that it can't be true reality if the contestants know they're being watched. I don't like the format because the networks created it because it was cheap to produce, the networks continued greenlighting more reality programs as insurance against a pending writers' strike. For all of those reasons and many more, I don't like reality TV.

But I like The Amazing Race.

And it's all [someone]'s fault.

BOJ

Comments:
How scathing. Shocking. Loaded with innuendo. Face it, BOJ, you're whipped.
 
Pu-lease!
 
We really must be grateful for the writer's strike. So far it has derailed one awards show! With any luck it could drag out to knock out a couple more!
 
My stance on Awards Shows hasn't softened. I don't like that SWG West is on strike, but if it canceled an Awards Show, then something good came of it.

The really important thing, though, is that Nate & Jen were eliminated on last night's Amazing Race. I think it's because Nate couldn't get any Thai food in Taiwan.

Who'da thunk it.
 
My brother and I auditioned but failed to make the final cut of Amazing race 5. I think I told you that, i will always have a grudge against it.
 
The only true reality t.v. show is THE DEADLIEST CATCH that chronicles the daily work of the crab fishermen of the Bearing Sea. Love that! THE AMAZING RACE isn't bad, but I agree with you that it isn't truly "reality" if the contestants know they are being filmed. So, BOJ, I bet you are soooo stoked now that the Miss America Pagent is now showing in the form of a reality t.v. show. Bah!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives