Thursday, January 17, 2008
10 Things I've Done That You Probably Haven't
So here's 10 things I've done that you probably haven't:
- Been to Hawaii but for less than an hour
Just passing through on the way to and on the way back from Guam. Really, I'd like to get back for longer next time...
- Was rude to Al Gore in the performance of my regular duties
It was a busy night at KDLT-TV. Besides being the on-air operator, I was also sort of the evening receptionist. Some joker rang the buzzer to get in. It was then Presidential candidate, Al Gore. I was too busy to deal with him told him someone in the newsroom could help him, pointed that way and got back to work.
- Watched all of that famous Cal vs. Stanford game except for the one play everybody remembersEven before he played for the Broncos, I was a big John Elway fan. A win over Cal would put Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Elway was having a great year and I loved watching him play. Elway dove Stanford down the field to put them ahead with 3 second remaining. Great game, I thought, and I changed the channel.
...and missed what most consider the greatest play in college football history.
- Worked for the 3 Major Direct Broadcast Satellite companies in the US
Which was the best to work for? That's a no brainer. The worst? The jury is still out on that one...
- Told Ted Nugent that he would have to wait to get popcorn
In my ongoing series of being rude to celebrities, I told the "Motor City Madman," who was doing fundraising for SDPTV, that he wouldm have to wait until I was done getting popcorn if he wanted some. A stupid move because he was heavily armed at the time
- Was on my favorite TV show
What, you didn't see this one coming? September 29th, 2003.
- Driven a car 350 miles with no clutch cable twice.
I had a '74 Ford Pinto when I was in college. The clutch cable broke when I was going home for 3 consecutive finals breaks. The first time I got it fixed, the next the mechanic couldn't get a replacement, so he told me how to drive it without using the clutch. The last time I just went home, I knew how to handle the situation...
- Nearly got beat up for playing a song
The Patient 957 song "Cobra Commander" was about a cartoon character. People would misunderstand, think it was against veterans and want to kill us. Fun. We stopped playing it.
- Drove from Long Beach to Albuquerque and back one day
OK, I know one other guy who's done that.
- Played kazoo on a cover of The Guess Who's "American Woman"
Since two of those performances were paying gigs, it's undoubtedly the stupidest thing I've ever taken money to do.