Friday, December 21, 2007

 

Breakup Songs

Quite a while ago, la Güera wrote a post in which she talked some about Ben Folds Five's "Song for the Dumped."

I've always liked the song, often saying that every man who's ever written a song, probably any man, period, has written pretty much the same song:
Song for the Dumped
by Ben Folds and Darren Jessee

So you wanted to take a break
Slow it down some and have some space
Well fuck you too!

Give me my money back
Give me my money back, you bitch
I want my money back

Wish I hadn't bought you dinner
Right before you dumped me on your front porch

Give me my money back
Give me my money back, you bitch
I want my money back
... and don't forget my black T-shirt

Juvenile I know, but that's pretty much what I've felt like immediately after every relationship I ever had ended. I felt like I'd wasted my time, my money and I wanted all of my shit back.

That feeling fades over time, of course, but it's strong and it's so real. I can think back to old breakups today and still feel that feeling to some degree. I suppose it means I cared. I suppose it means I didn't really want the breakup to happen.

"Song for the Dumped" is a celebrated brealup song from Ben Folds Five's excellent album, "Whatever and Ever, Amen." Oddly, it's not even the best breakup song on the album. In my opinion, that honor belongs to the very next track, "Selfless, Cold and Compossed."
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
by Ben Folds

I said what you wanted to hear
And what I wanted to say
So I will take it back
Are all the dishes in tact
Let them be broken

It's easy to be
Easy and free
When it doesn't mean anything
You remain
Selfless, cold and composed

You've done me no
Favor to call and be nice
Telling me I
Can take anything I like
Your don't owe me to be so polite
You've done no wrong
You've done no wrong
Get out of my sight

It's easy to be
Easy and free
When it doesn't mean anything
To remain
Selfless, cold and composed

Come on baby
Now throw me a right to the chin
Don't just stare like you never cared
I know you did
You just smiled
Like a bank teller
Telling me blankly, have a nice life

Come on baby
Throw me a right to the chin
Just one sign
That could show me that you give a shit
But you just smile politely
And I grow weaker and I ...

Said what you wanted to hear
And what I wanted to say
So I will take it back

It's easy to be
Easy and free
When it doesn't mean anything
When it doesn't mean anything
You can take anything
So selfless, cold and composed

Imagine, you break up with someone and they don't care. Imagine that they go on with their life like nothing happened, like you meant nothing to them. Ever.

To me, that's a whole lot harsher than someone yelling at you, calling you names and throwing things. To me, that would hurt a lot more. It might take a while for me to realize it, but in the end it would rip my guts out if I cared anything for that person.

I've been on the receiving end of the "Song for the Dumped" scenario. The Globex Corporation Newsletter is evidence of me dishing it out as well.

The "Selfless, Cold and Composed" scenario is a little less familiar. Yeah, I've had it done to me and, yes, I've done it to others. Sometimes it didn't really mean anyting, but more often it was just bullshit posturing.

BOJ
...is in a really good relationship right now, this post should in no way be construed as BOJ having troubles in his current relationship, he really just likes both songs mentioned in the post and always appreciated their juxtaposition on "Whatever and Ever, Amen"...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives