Thursday, November 29, 2007

 

Brett Favre

I've watched a lot of football. I'm a Denver Broncos fan, but more importantly, I love the game. I love seeing the game played to its highest level by anyone. I count players from many teams as my favorites including a running back who played for both the hated Raiders and Chiefs.

Being a Broncos fan, it may sound like sacrilege when I say that my favorite quarterback of all time, to watch play anyway, is not John Elway, it's Brett Favre.

Elway is the best QB I've ever seen (that includes Joe Montana and Dan Marino). He had a confidence on the field that I doubt if we'll ever see again. Elway was a tactician, a gifted physical specimen who simply got things done on the football field. He treated the game like it was life or death. It was all business on the field for Elway, his job, and he was the best of all time at his job.

Favre reminds me of a young John Elway. He reminded me of a young John Elway tonight, Favre in his 17th NFL season. He approaches the game with the youthful exuberance of a 22 year old rookie. He plays the game. Plays the game.

favre
There are two important elements here, Favre is playing, and it's a game. Maybe part of the reason he can still approach it this way at 38 is that he has a Super Bowl Ring. Maybe, but I doubt it. Favre just seems like that guy who would be playing this game on a sandlot at 38 because he loves playing football. There is a joy to Favre on the football field, a joy that I have never seen out of a top flight NFL QB.

Favre's past two years were difficult for me to watch, not because he wasn't playing well, not because the Green Bay Packers weren't contending, but because Brett Favre didn't look like he was having fun. I didn't want him to play this year, I didn't want to remember him playing joyless football.

Things turned around for Favre and the Packers this year. The youth movement in Green Bay has paid off, the Packers are once again an elite team in the NFL, even with tonight's loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

A banged up Packers team took the Cowboys deep at home. One of those injured was Brett Favre who left the game in the second quarter with an elbow injury. It was Favre's backup, Aaron Rodgers, who kept the game close, who brought the team back, who nearly pulled off the upset. Rodgers played great, Favre-like in his approach to the game.

I have no idea how badly Favre is hurt, my guess is that he will start the Packers next game, just as he started the Packer's previous 249 regular season games. And he'll have fun playing. It also seems that the Packers are in good hands with Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers sure looked ready to take over this team tonight.

Brett Favre is my favorite QB of all time to watch play the game. Brett Favre seems to be having fun in his chosen profession this year after a couple of tough years. And let me make this clear, Brett Favre has earned the right to stop playing football whenever he wants to stop playing football.

If I had my way, though, Brett Favre would hang 'em up at the end of this season. The 2007 edition of Brett Favre is one I want to remember. I don't know what the 2008 model will look like. If Favre should continue to play after this year, I wish him the best.

...unless he's playing the Broncos in the Super Bowl again...

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives