Wednesday, October 17, 2007

 
I'm watching Feasting on Asphalt 2 on Food TV. It's Alton Brown at his best, among the people, exploring small town America and looking at cuisine of the country.

Tonight's episode took place along the Mississippi River in Iowa and Illinois. It's not what you'd call haut cuisine (assuming I've spelled that anywhere close to correctly). The mentioned the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich (state sandwich of Iowa). I lived in Iowa for a scant 14 months, and let me tell you, there are few things better than this sandwich.

I respect well made food, food that people attend culinary food to be able to create. I understand French and Italian cuisine, I love Thai food. Tonight's show had pork tenderloin, rhubarb pie and smoked carp. It's cuisine of small town America, good food that is made in the heartland of this country, food that is every bit as valid as anything taught in the most excellent culinary institions in the world. Stuff made by farm wives and in small town diners.

Let's give real American food a chance, food from truck stops or served to combining crews as they harvest wheat in the heartland of this country. There's nothing wrong with learning to create fine cuisine, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it. Give good old American food the same chance.

BOJ

...had hot dogs and a locally produced ale for supper...

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives