Monday, September 17, 2007

 
This will be the last post for awhile. I'm just not up to it anymore.


A few months ago I was asked if I wanted to take on more responsibilities at [Nameless Company]. Let's see, my (and everyone else's except, apparently, for upper management) bonus was $250 for the previous year. We received that pittance as a reward for reaching an arbitrary goal. The same week that we received our pittance (plus Presidents' Day off) our new, extra shitty insurance kicked in.

Thanks for helping us reach a goal that will allow us to show a 33% increase in net revenue this quarter. Here's a bonus that won't even cover your insurance deductible, a day off that the rest of the country already gets off and really shitty insurance...


So when asked if I wanted to take on extra duties without getting extra pay, I said "no thank you." Perhaps I wasn't that diplomatic. Perhaps the phrase "fuck you" was included in there somewhere.

The next week due to poor scheduling and illness, I was forced into that role anyway.

A little later I was asked again if I wanted to take on extra duties. This time I was told that it would come with a promotion and raise. I was still reluctant, but agreed. I'm a whore. Give me money, more money, and I can be talked into anything. I made it clear that I wasn't interested in extra duties until I received my promotion.

I waited. Nothing happened. People asked me about it, curious as I hadn't told anybody about the situation. I found out that it's policy (later I found out that it's not, which is a whole different issue) that only one promotion can be in the works in our department at a time. I was third in line on my shift, who knows how far down the queue I was department-wise. Nothing happened, summer passed (nearly, anyway) and I had given up on ever receiving more money from [Nameless Company]. On the other hand. Extra duties weren't put upon me. It was a trade-off I could live with.

Then [Nameless Company] decided that people in my job weren't paid enough. We're not, it's not competitive in the industry and the situation needs to be addressed. [Nameless Company]'s solution? Pay new hires more than existing employees.

It makes some sense, I suppose. We can't attract new hires without paying them more, and less employees means more work for the existing employees, so get 'em here however you can. Of course, less is expected of new employees, so hiring them at a higher rank and for more pay is a slap in the face to every employee in the organization.

Thanks for working well while we were short staffed. Everything that needed to get done was done with the same accuracy that we've come to expect. Here's two new hires who make more than you but whom not as much is expected of. That should help. I know some of you are angry over this., That's OK, if you quit, we'll replace you with someone who makes more money than you, thus bringing our salaries more into line with the rest of the industry...


Friday I was asked again if I wanted to take on extra duties. This time no raise or promotion was attached. I talked to my department manager about it. I wasn't offered anything in exchange for my taking on of extra duties, in fact, I was told that if I didn't, it would reflect negatively upon me. If I didn't do something that I was offered a promotion to do before, now without that promotion, that it would look bad for me.

Let's look at some of the crap [Nameless Company] has pulled on me in the past 22 months"

  • Screwd up in calling EVERY ONE of my references during my interview process


  • Took an inordinate amount of time to reimburse me for expenses incurred during my interview


  • Lost paperwork that I had filled out and signed during interview, forcing me to fill it out again and send to the company


  • Offered me a job the week of Christmas, wanting me to start on January 2nd


  • By having me start after the 1st of the year, screwed me out of a week's vacation my first year with [Nameless Company]


  • Implied that my prescription drug may violate [Nameless Company]'s "drug free workplace" policy while another employee who came into work drunk, more than once, was never reparmanded


  • Wrote me up for being rude to an HR representative when she gave me incorrect information regarding my benefits


  • Informed me that my write up (precipitated by someone else's mistake) would effect raises and promotion opportunites for me


  • Let's look at what I have done "above and beyond" for [Nameless Company]:

  • Agreed to interview 300 miles away from my location, less than 24 hours after [Nameless Company] initially contacted me


  • Have helped out with Photoshop difficulties at work durig my scheduled time off


  • Have changed my schedule 3 times in past 20 months, none of these schedules including Friday or Saturday off


  • Even though I told my supervisor, "I'm only going to do just enough around here not to get fired," took a leadership role on shift, assisting in training of new employees


  • Am accepting increased duties, duties that I was previously offered a promotion and pay raise for, without a promotion or pay raise


  • I have been fucked over, repeatedly and consistently, by [Nameless Company] from a time before they even paid me. I am taking on more duties, even after a promise to me was broken, after they decided to pay new hires more than me, after they decided to provide shitty insurance, opting instead to sponsor a NASCAR team, after they have written me up, effecting my future advancement, because they gave me false benefits information.

    What exactly should I be bitching about? Should I be bitching about how bad [Nameless Company] is fucking me over or that I allow it to keep happening by staying in a shitty job with shitty benefits for shitty pay?

    BOJ

    Labels:




    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    The Bert Convey
    Principle
    Friends' Blogs
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: United States

    I'm not telling you anything...

    archives