Monday, August 13, 2007

 

Serial Monday
Episode I
Meet Dash Tompkins

  • So Serial Monday was the winner of the new Monday feature contest. Alright, I'll give it a go.

    In honor of the other entries, I'll work some of the elements of each into the first installment.

    And the "cliffhanger" thing.... I'll try to work something in each week, though I'll admit that this week's is lacking in that department.


  • "I'll be there in a minute," Dash Tompkins said, turning back to his computer screen, "I'm working on some calculations with potentially serious consequences."

    "How so?" Like most lab assistants, Todd Baldwin didn't really understand everything the professor he was assisting was working on.

    "Well," Dash looked over his glasses at Baldwin, "if my calculations are correct, using high deuterium DHMO in nuclear weapons can increase the yield of the weapon exponentially."

    "DHMO again?" Baldwin turned back to his beaker bubbling with some liquid or other. "I don't like you messing with that stuff. It's dangerous!"

    "So you've bought into all of that internet hype about the 'dangers of DHMO,' have you?" Todd looked away sheepishly. "You can't believe everything you read on the internet. It's unregulated, anyone can write anything and simply pass it off as fact."

    "But inhaling DHMO kills thousands of people every year. In its solid form it causes countless traffic accidents. I read that Barry Bonds wouldn't have been able to break Hank Aaron's home run record without using DHMO on a daily basis."

    "Internet drivel..."

    "Prove me wrong, professor." Dash liked to see his young assistant show a little fire. "The government is experimenting with weapons systems that operate on DHMO. You yourself are proposing using high deuterium DHMO in nuclear weapons! This stuff is dangerous!"

    "Enough, Todd." They'd been through this all before. "I've got to finish up here, then I want to take a quick look at my email, probably mostly Spam, before I head home to get ready for my date."

    Baldwin crinkled his nose. "Oh yeah, the actress."

    "Writer and actress."

    "I don't know what you see in her." In his early twenties, Baldwin was only interested in one thing, make that two things, when he thought of women. "She's cute I suppose, in a dorky sort of way, but you could do so much better."

    "I don't know. There's something about her that I really like. Maybe it's the glasses, I just don't know, but the first time I saw her doing the news on Weekend Update I was hooked."

    "No, she was great there," Baldwin agreed, "and I do like her on her new show, 30 Rock, Thursday nights on NBC, and I can hardly wait for the new episodes that all of America can watch this fall, but I read on the internet that she was married."

    "There you go believing stuff you read on the internet again, Todd."

    "Whatever, Professor." Baldwin turned toward the door. "Have a good weekend. See you on Monday."

    "Have a good weekend, Todd." Dash turned back to his computer and started in on his voluminous spam email even as he considered witty responses to each.

    newfeaturemonday


    BOJ

    Labels:


    Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    The Bert Convey
    Principle
    Friends' Blogs
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: United States

    I'm not telling you anything...

    archives