Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 

Piano Players

You know what's cool? Piano players. Particularly piano players as songwriters. My favorite songwriter is Ben Folds. Other piano playing songwriters I like are Randy Newman, Billy Joel, Warren Zevon, Ray Charles and Charles Brown.

I would never say that on piano players are great songwriters. I actually read a very interesting argument about how bass players (Paul McCartney, Sting, Lowell Fulson) are great songwriters, written by a blues pianist. I suppose that can be true, but a piano can actually physically see the relationships between the notes in chord the way a guitarist will never be able to.

There are great songwriters who solo on any instrument you can name. There are great guitar playing songwriters, but Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan can't hold a candle, musically, to Ray Charles or Randy Newman.

So, today, I'm positive about the music writeen by piano players.

BOJ

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives