Tuesday, August 21, 2007

 

The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
[4F12]

One of my favorite Simpsons episodes was waiting for me on my VCR (you are correct in your exasperation, I do not have a DVR) when I got home from work. That's enough for a Positive Tuesday post all on its own.

This episode, like many Simpsons episodes, bites the hand that feeds it. If you look up this episode on fan sites, many hard core Simpsons fans don't care for this episode. They often hate this episode because it makes fun of hard core fans of a cartoon show. That makes me absolutely love it. I should point out that I consider myself a hard core Simpsons fan. I guess I'm able to laugh at myself in a way a lot of hard core fans can't.

The second thing about this episode I like is that it is part of a recurring theme of making fun of the sitcom format. Besides Poochie being added to The Itchy and Scratchy Show, the Simpsons also inexplicably add a character who apparently lives with them, Roy. Roy appears in no other episodes, is never referred to again. Lisa explains it best (though she's actually talking about Poochie):

Adding a new character is often a desperate attempt to boost low ratings.


I see things on TV, in the news, wherever, and I try to figure out ways to work them into this blog in a humorous way. Last year, for example, I declared this blog steroid free and asked readers to submit a urine sample with each comment. Rest assured, I did not receive any vials of urine in my mail during that time. Truthfully, I'm a little disappointed by that.

So I was watching [4F12] last night and thinking how I could add a new character in "a desperate attempt to boost low ratings." I thought about making up someone, a new character who would do things like comment and complain, argue with me even.

Then I thought about La guera. I've known La guera for a while now (I even know her real name). I resisted writing anything about her for a long time, having been scared shitless about doing that by a previous person and a general cautiousness as I entered a new relationship.

La guera was not brought into this blog in "a desperate attempt to boost low ratings." Maybe an attempt to raise low spirits, but I don't care about "ratings" (I can tell you how many people stop by every day, though). Now I'm not talking about why she's in my life. I'm talking about why she makes appearances on this blog.

This blog is about my life. It's about me. It's the good and the bad. I do not write everything that happens to me in this blog, but I could if I wanted to. I'll admit to having written things I shouldn't have. Being denied writing what I felt was necessary on a given day was really tough for me.

So back to La guera, if La guera is a character on The Globex Corporation Newsletter, what kind of character is she? Is La guera Roy or Poochie or even, heaven forbid, Chuck, the other brother from Happy Days who only appears in the first season? Or is she Kahn, Minh and Connie from King of the Hill, characters who were not in the pilot but have become integral to the show?

My life isn't a sitcom. I have no clue what is going to happen with any of the characters in my life. Some have left and that's saddened me. Some have left and I've been quite pleased, if a bit reflective and sorry about the way things worked out. Some come on late and effected me greatly. I have no idea who will come into my life tomorrow or who will leave. I'm fine with that.

I'll enjoy the good people while I have them in my life, for however long that happens to be.

BOJ

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives