Wednesday, August 01, 2007

 

Anticipation

One of my favorite things is waiting. Well, not the waiting so much, but the knowing that there's a payoff at the end. The anxious feeling of knowing something good is coming, even if you don't know exactly what it is.

I'll go out of my way in situations like this not to know exactly what's coming. I have a niece who's having a baby. I have no desire to know the baby's sex. If I know, I can't wonder about it, I can't imagine, I just know and then my brain has nothing to do with the subject.

Christmas as a kid was always great because I had something to look forward to. I can't say that I never did, but I rarely looked for my presents. Why would I want to know what I was getting? That would ruin the surprise.

Anticipation is one of the reasons I like cooking. You mix ingredients, put something in the oven and in prescribed amount of time, which involves waiting, and hopefully you are rewarded with something delicious. Delicious food is great. Waiting for delicious food, while knowing you will soon be receiving delicious food heightens the degree of deliciousness exponentially.

I can hear you all saying this though:

"Hey, BOJ, what's the deal? I thought this was the MBW. All you're doing is talking about how awesome it is to wait for stuff. You're an ass and I'm never reading The Globex Corporation Newsletter again. Also, you're ugly and you smell bad."


Well, fine readers, you make valid points (especially about smelling bad...). You need to show a little more patience. I'm getting to the MBW.

You see, anticipation is great if there's a payoff. When there's not it's nothing but a monumental waste of time. If you find yourself longing for something, hoping for it, thinking about it constantly and it turns out to turn your life into a living hell, then that anticipation was completely worthless. You've wasted valuable time, first having to wait for what you thought you wanted, then realizing that what you wanted was nothing but a bunch of shit.

I'm thinking of something in my life, of course, but blog policy prevents me from going any further. I'll just say that I've wasted a good chunk of the last year letting this shit get to me, wasting my time with this situation.

The sad part is that I'm really just bitching at myself. It's my fault that I've wasted my life. I can't blame anyone else.

But anticipating something that turns out to suck is a really bad thing. That's what I'm bitching about.

I'd like to make a special MBW shout out to 24.155.199.149! Thanks for giving me something to write about...

BOJ

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives