Wednesday, July 11, 2007

 

I'm So Damn Important

On Friday, June 29th, I went to work like every other Friday. Friday is the start of my work week, and I noticed many less cars in the parking lot than most other Fridays. Let me say that I really don't mind, since I get to work at 3pm, it was nice to have a much better parking spot than I normally do on Fridays.

I had asked my supervisor if I could have the next Monday (July 2nd) off. Being as the 4th of July holiday was on Wednesday, I asked if I could take my holiday on Monday, giving me a 4 day weekend which would allow me to head back to the RC. Jason was good about it and allowed me to, but had someone cover for me on Monday.

I worked Saturday and Sunday as usual, about as many cars in the parking lot, and took off for the RC on Monday morning. I had a nice time but had to make it back to work on Friday.

When I pulled into the parking lot on Friday, July 6th, there were hardly any cars there. Once again, I was happy to have a good parking spot, but couldn't help but wonder how the hell most emloyees at [Nameless Company] managed to turn one day off in the middle of the week into 10 days off in a row.

So I asked. People took their vacation time for that extended period. I guess it makes sense, take a week's vacation and it turns into almost two weeks. That's a good use of PDO.

Nobody in Master Control pulled that though. I can't speak for everyone, but I was quite pleased with the situation. We were able to do our jobs without being bothered by people who make our lives multple living hells most weeks. We didn't have to deal with lots of people who frankly aren't necessary for the day to day operations of [Nameless Company].

Somebody had to cover for me for the ONE day during that period that I took off. It makes me wonder, who covered for all of those people who took an entire week off.

Nobody.

I guess I'm more important than any of them to the day to day operations of [Nameless Company].

Two technicans were installing a monitor in an NBC executives office when the saw a photo of the executive running camera for an NBC TV show.

"You ran camera during the NABET strike?" One of the technicans asked.

NABET had gone on strike against NBC in the late 1980's, forcing other non-union members to run camera and perform other duties for telecasts like David Letterman and Johnny Carson.

"Yes I did." The executive replied.

"So," the technician asked, "while you were running camera, who was doing your job?"

"Um... Nobody..."

"Exactly."


It wouldn't bother me so much except that none of those people who got 10 days off have to work weekends. They all go home at 5 o'clock. When a holiday happens on a day that they work, they don't come to work, no questions asked. They bitch and moan if they have to come in when I'm at work because didn't do part of their job properly. Nobody has to cover for them if they take a day or 10 off.

And they undoubtedly all make more money than me.

BOJ

Labels: ,


Comments:
AMEN BROTHER BOJ! Isn't that usually the case? 40% of the people in a place like we are employed do about 80% of the work, and most of the remaining people get paid more. SU-UCK!

I'd love to see a manager, finance person, or any of those "9-5 M-F" types walk into a technical area and actually get shit on the air or fix a problem with some equipment.

MCO's and Tech's are so undervalued by the company, yet in modern times if we went on strike management would not be able to come in and do our jobs (most of them didn't start at the bottom and climb the ranks like in the good old days of TV and Radio).

Anyways - same old shit around this place too - ghost town all week during the holidays, it was nice to get some projects finished without having managers in my way.

Quinn
 
Slick at Broken Machines says that if Meridian, the corporate HQ for [Nameless Company] were hit by an asteroid that the company would not only survive but thrive.

The corporate types also chose to place themselves in the Denver metro while they chose to place the uplink, housing the technical types, in Cheyenne Wyoming. They give bullshit reasons about the weather being better here, but the real reason is so they can pay us less.

Nice folks. I hope they do get hit by an asteroid.
 
Well isn't that like the original set-up for the Evil Empire? Uplink in CO, corporate HQ in CA. If an earthquake leveled Los Angeles and all the exec's and office types were gone, the broadcasts would continue. And of course the tech people in Colorado get paid less than the people in LA. 'What a country!'

Quinn
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives