Tuesday, May 01, 2007

 

The Size of an Audio Cassette

Sometime around 1999, I bought a Sony 300 disk CD changer. I was so stoked when I bought it, finally, I had easy access to all of my CD's in one convenient location. I entered all of the CD titles so I could see what was playing when the unit was on. Very cool, and it got a lot of use while I was living in California.

Also while living in California, Apple released iTunes, a Mac based MP3 player that I installed on my computer. I encoded a couple of my CD's, and I really liked the way iTunes handled my music, much cooler than the Sony 300 disk changer. I could create playlists by dragging and dropping individual tracks, instead of being limited to 8 broad categories.

I started playing some music after moving back to the RC. In P957 we would often record performances on video. I'd get TSA to convert the audio from those performances to MP3 for me and I'd be able to play them on iTunes. I found that there was a lot of music out there, available for download, free or otherwise.

I had encoded my entire CD collection to MP3 years ago, but I'd acquired lots of music on the net along with stuff I'd recorded. In short, my computer had more music on it than a device that was built to do nothng but play music. And I find myself listening to music at my computer more than anywhere else.

I resisted the urge to purchas an iPod when they came out. The first models were under 1GB. Later they got bigger and bigger drives. They added a color monitor on later models. So a couple of weeks ago, I bought an iPod. This one is an 80GB unit that not only plays music, but movies and photos as well. I have three hard drives on my computer, my iPod has more storage capacity than two of the drives I have installed.

And what do I have on my iPod. Today I have 4717 audio tracks, 3 movies and 96 photos. I'm not even at half capacity. I was looking at my iPod the other day. It's about the size of an audio cassette. An audio cassette that holds about 90 minutes of music. Today, my iPod contains twelve and a half days worth of music.

That's so cool...

BOJ

Labels:


Comments:
Dude, the 80 GB iPod video is the model I bought a few months back. I have your music collection along with mine, hers, and another friends, all filling up the better part of a 300 GB hard drive. I think it's weird to have too much music to fit on the 80 GB iPod. To have enough storage capacity to play music for a longer period of time than a single charge of the battery lasts - and it's not big enough for my entire MP3 collection.

Anyways - glad you got one, I wouldn't live without mine.

Quinn
 
We are living in the future!
The future has some coolness.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives