Tuesday, May 15, 2007

 

Cool Bands/Musicians You've Probably Never Heard Of

Popularity in Music is a baffling thing to me. I simply don't understand what makes a musician popular. It's not that I have bad taste, some of the bands I like have become poular, most, however, remain in obscurity.

So this is Positive Tuesday and Mega-Bitch Wednesday (I'm out of town and may not have regular access to a computer). These are all musicians who have had limited mainstream success (no Top 40 appearances that I know of), but deserve so much better.

I'm not just talking about people I know, people with limited recordings like Willy Grigg or Amanda Conway, I mean people who haver released music that is available to anyone.


  • blasters
    The Blasters - A college roommate descirbed them as "What Stray Cats would be if they weren't so damn commercial." As good a description as anything I suppose. Real Rockabilly music played by some of SoCals finest musicians.

    No longer a running concern, though vocalist Phil Alvin occasionally gets groups together, but they're lacking guitarist and songwriter Dave Alvin, who has his own nice little solo career going.

    Biggest Success - The song Dark Night was featured in the Quentin Tarantino-Robert Rodriguez collaboration From Dusk Till Dawn. A cover of Dave Alvin's Long White Cadillac was a minor hit for Dwight Yoakam.

    Why They're Not Famous - It's Rockabilly and they were playing in the 1980's. Right band, wrong time



  • cole
    Holly Cole - Sultry song stylist who is a magnificent interpreter of other people's music. Her album of Tom Waits covers, Temptation, takes great songs and turns them on their heads. Her cover of Elvis Costello's Allison was completely unexpected the first time I heard it.

    Backed by a strong jazz trio on her earlier albums, she's moved onto bigger arrangements. Think Diana Krall but with more pop sensibilities.

    Biggest Success - Her cover of Johnny Nash's I Can See Clearly Now appeared in a Chevrolet commercial.

    Why She Isn't Famous - It's Jazz, it just doesn't have mass appeal. Too bad, she's really pop friendly.



  • james
    Steve James - Finger style acoustic blues played in a traditional style, but often about contemporary issues.

    A great picker, handling the material of the greats (Leadbelly in particular), but also a great songwriter. His Banker's Blues should have been played during every news story about those Enron bastards.

    Biggest Success - I honestly can't think of one. He's not even that popular in the blues world. It's a shame.

    Why He Isn't Famous - I could cynically say because the general public is really stupid, but that's not fair. It comes down to two words: Acoustic and Blues.



  • aso
    Abby Someone - OK, one group of guys I know. Amazing talent from the RC. Shawn Michael Bitz is the best writer (music and otherwise) you've never heard of. That's a shame, something that really needs to change.

    Great songs, an amazing stage pressence, this band has everything it needs to be famous, though I haven't seen the newest incarnation.

    Biggest Success - Fall Down in Love had some regional radio success and will be in an upcoming independent film.

    Why They Aren't Famous - It's sad to say, but South Dakota isn't a hot bed of music. That's the only reason ASO isn't ridiculously famous.



  • aso
    Sue Foley - One of the best guitarists playing today, equally comfortable in a rocking electric style or laid back acoustic. I'm doing what I can to make her famous, but I'm just one man...

    Biggest Success - Sue Foley Photo Fiday? Dear God, I hope not...

    Why She Isn't Famous - Blues. It's hard to make it big in this genre. Too bad.




  • aso
    Saffire - The Uppity Blues Women - I give their Live & Uppity - to the strong women in my life. Even as a guy, I find their music empowering.

    Clever and energetic, this is a band that must be seen to be believed. This is acoustic blues in the classic femenine style. Something about a woman singing blues, they can get away with stuff that no man ever could.

    Biggest Success - That time they..... When they were on the soundtrack to..... Uh..... I guess none.

    Why They Aren't Famous - See entry for Steve James.



  • albert
    Albert Collins - If Jonny Lang were an old black dead man, he'd sound like "The Iceman." I actually got to tell Jonny that I thougt he sounded like Albert.

    If you like the Texas blues of the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, then Albert is for you. If you enjoy great guitar playing, Albert is for you. You should really be listening to Albert Collins regardless of the type of music you like.


  • Biggest Success - Played ay Live Aid, though somehow I missed it.

    Why He Isn't Famous - A bluesman who isn't from Chicago? That don't fly...


  • icepick
    "Icepick" James Harman - Besides Ben Folds, probably my favorite song writer. He's also a great harmonica player and his bands are always top rate.

    You can't go wrong with Icepick and I've been lucky enough to see his live several times. I bought my copy of Black and White directly from James. He was in a surly mood so I was affraid to get it signed.

    Biggest Success - Kiss of Fire was playing in the background during the rape scene in Jodi Foster's The Accused. He also appeared on David Letterman with ZZ Top.

    Why He Isn't Famous - I get the feeling he's a bit of an asshole, I saw him go off on an audience member once. Entertaining and just a little bit scary..


  • BOJ

    Labels: , ,


    Comments:
    Thank you for introducing me to Steve James, James Harmon, and Albert Collins - I actually have them on my iPod. The Blasters also rock but I think "Matt TV" gave me their stuff.

    Quinn
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    The Bert Convey
    Principle
    Friends' Blogs
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: United States

    I'm not telling you anything...

    archives