Friday, March 09, 2007

 

Pent Up Shit

The company I work for posted a 15% rise in fourht quarter net income. You'd think that'd be a good thing. You'd think that a low level button pusher like myself would see some benefit from this. Some. Any.

I've seen changes, but not the kind that I like. Starting on March 1st, the deductible for our medical plan went up to $1250. A company that's showing unexpected profits is treating their employees like this, cutting benefits and basically saying that they don't give a shit about us.

Oh, we got a bonus for hitting 13 million subscribers. A whopping $250. Yeah, less than two days pay for me. You call that shit some kind of bonus? If this company was losing money, I'd understand, but it posted a 15% rise in fourht quarter net income. That's a gain, not a loss. The company is making more money, not losing it.

I got a raise starting with my last paycheck. I'm actually taking home about $100 less per month than I was before my raise due in part to this shitty new insurance. You call that a raise? You give me a bonus that won't cover my insurance deductible? Fuck you.

I'm at a point where I really need insurance. For the first time in my life I'm not entirely healthy. For the first time in my life I'm relying on my employer to provide the health coverage I need. I need it.

Let me tell you about the fine insurance I have. I looked up the medical specialty I need. There were four in network providers in Cheyenne. Well, actually not. Each was listed twice. So there's only two. One isn't taking any new patients, so there's really only one. That one couldn't see me for nearly two months.

I was understandably upset. I let them know how upset I was. They decided that they didn't want me as a patient. A NEUROLOGIST IS REFUSING TREATMENT TO A PERSON WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS!!!!

And my insurance is just fine with this. There are neurologists I can see in Ft. Collins, CO, after all. It's just a 45 mile drive for me, a guy with MS. How dare I be upset about something like this.

Then yesterday I get a call from my current Neurologist, someone I haven't seen since October when I started my treatment, someone who diagnosed my MS in August and put off the start of my treatment for two fucking months. They wanted to know how I was doing. Five months later they want to know how I'm doing.

I told them I wasn't doing well and was getting another Neurologist in my insurance network. They inquired as to me insurance carrier. When I told them, they told me that they had just signed up with that company and that I should look into staying with my neurologist.

So today I called my insurance. My current neurologist isn't covered, they looked to see if there was any paperwork pending. Nope.

So I called the neurologist and asked what the fuck was up. They can't tell me. Or won't tell me. Or don't know. Or something.

So after spending all fucking morning on the damn phone I don't know shit. No one will tell me shit. It's fucking infuriatitng. And I'm in the same place as I was when I started this bullshit.

My company is making me pay too much for bad insurance. And the shit of it all is that my only other option would have been to take even shitier insurance.

The minimum I ask from any employer is that they pay me a fair wage. I could argue that I'm not getting that, but for the sake of argument, let's assume I'm making what I'm worth.

Now on top of that, it's nice if the employer provides some benefits above and beyond a mere hourly wage. Like insurance of reasonable value at a reasonable price. Not even close.

So the company is doing the the bare minimum for me. You could argue that it's doing even less than that, but let's just give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they're doing the bare minimum.

What I need to know now is what is the bare minimum amount of work I can do to keep my job. If they want to give me the bare minimum, I can repay in kind.

BOJ

Labels:


Comments:
Wow dude... I'm so sorry to hear you're going through that. Like the MS isn't enough, to have to fuck around with insurance companies and get bent over like that by your company makes it ten times worse.

It makes the bullshit that happened here in 2000/2001 sound like a walk in the park.

I know I can't really help with this, but if there is anything I can do, let me know... even if it's just to have someone to talk to who has an idea of what you're going through (remember... I've never been healthy).

Quinn
 
i would make a globe-ex poster that says something sarcastic about insurance... like.."globe-ex, we may not be crushing the defiers...but at least we have insurance."
then i would find it a tv spot.

JB-andy
ps...(i know that doesn't help)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives