Wednesday, March 21, 2007

 

My Insurance Deductible


echocar
Take a good look at my insurance deductible.
I have Multiple Sclerosis. If you weren't able to guess by now, it's not a cheap disease to have. I'm currently paying off the MRI that diagnosed my condition. I got the MRI last July, and I have less than $1000 to pay before I'm free of that one. I need another MRI in July.

The medication I take, Betaseron, isn't cheap either. A 30 day supply of Betaseron costs $1680.08. I'm not really sure how much good the Betaseron is doing, I've been taking it since October and I've gotten progressively worse while on the medication. Worse, after my injection (every other day at bedtime), I actually feel worse for about 36 hours. The neurologist assures me this is normal. So I pay $1680.08 monthly for something that makes me feel like shit for a day and a half.

I have insurance, of course. The company I work for had two plans I could choose from. With my condition, I chose the more expensive one, the better one, the plan that provided me with the most coverage.

This plan has a $1250 deductible. That means that this month, I have to shell out $1680.08 for Betaseron. Good news, I met my deductible in one shot! Well, not such good news, after this month, I'm responsible for 20% of all medical bills. So after this month, I'll pay $366.02 per month for my medication. After I already met my ludicrous deductible.

The company I work for sponsers a NASCAR team. Coincidentally, they started their sponsorship at about the same time employees' insurance became really shitty. I did some checking on line today, NASCAR sponsorship doesn't come cheap. Primary Sponsorship (the hood, crew and driver's uniforms) costs anywhere from $12 million to $16 million per year.

I also checked on the number of people my company employs. Seems to be about 20,000 people. A little math shows that NASCAR sponsorship costs between $600 to $800 per employee. If you took that off of my deductible, it would be a pretty manageable amount.

But the company I work for doesn't do that. They saved money by providing us with shitty insurance. Money they used to provide sponsorship for a NASCAR team. A NASCAR team whose best finish this year has beena sixth place.

BOJ

Labels:


Comments:

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives