Wednesday, March 14, 2007

 

Change is Good

I have a piggy bank that I put pennies in. Nothing but pennies, coinage that I find absolutely useless. In another container, I throw the rest of my loose change, except for the quarter which are necessary for laundry. Yes, daily, I sort my change. When I empty my pockets at the end of the day, I have three distinct places for my change to go.

The piggy bank has been full for some time now, it's been hard to get more pennies into it. The other container had quite a load of coins in it as well. I had to do something with my coinage.


coinstar
I've used the CoinStar machines for some time now. They take 8.9 cents for every dollars worth of change you redeem. Now that sucks, but on the other hand, most banks charge you a similar amount if you take change to them.

Recently, CoinStar began offering gift cards for the money you turn in. One of the things they offer is gift cards for iTunes. Get this, if you get a gift card, CoinStar doesn't take their 8.9 cents/dollar, the entire amount you redeem goes toward the gift card. So I took my undeterined amount of change down to Albertsons and walked up to the CoinStar machine and dumped my change into it.

My total? Twenty-four dollars and ninety-four cents! Nearly ten dollars worth of pennies! That's a nice iTunes gift card!


new

ben
So I bought Sue Foley's New Used Car and a Ben Folds iTunes exclusive (Ben is a big iTunes supporter) plus Ben's cover of Bitches Ain't Shit. Listening to the iTunes exclusive right now which has a lot of interview segments with Ben, which is fascinating stuff. I did listen to some of the Sue Foley, but it was the Ben Folds that really intrigued me. I suppose it just depends on how I was feeling today.

So I've got to new things to listen to for the cost of stuff that was just sitting around in my bedroom. That's not too bad.

BOJ

Comments:
Ten bucks in pennies... holy schnikies! That poor piggy bank must have been squeelin' from the feelin'.

I agree CoinStar is close to highway robbery, but it is convenient. The credit union branch across from work wouldn't take change (they didn't have a sorting machine). The new location in Lakewood will, but I have no idea what the fee is... I still use CoinStar.

I did make the mistake once of going to a Von's where they had a CoinStar knock-off. The machine jammed after my first $2, it wasn't maintained well (when the store manager opened it up, there was all kinds of funk on the inside). I took my $2 and some odd cent coupon to a register and drove to a Ralphs to find 'the real deal' CoinStar.

What a modern world we live in!

Quinn
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives