Saturday, February 24, 2007

 

That First 30 Minutes Took About an Hour...

Tim (you'll know him as BPM) and I were heading to work yesterday. He asked me if I was still coming to South Dakota today. I asked why. He told me that we were supposed to have 6 inches of snow and 60mph winds overnight.

We drove into work, actually rolling the windows down a little as it was so warm. Spent 10 hours at work and drove home in snow. I woke up to (surprise) about 6 inches of snow (approximation, your snowfall may vary). I checked the WY DOT website for road conditions. Every direction out of Cheyenne was closed. It was still snowing a little bit so I played some Civilization II, checked the email, had a little breakfast and decided what to do.

I took a shower. No great ideas came to me. I checked WY DOT again and the roads were open. I-25 was anyway, with a No Travel advisory from Gledno to Orin Jct. If I travel up I-25, I go as far as Orin Jct. so I was a little worried, but decided to hit the road anyway.

For the first 30 miles, I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. Though it had stopped snowing, it was blowing quite a bit, there was a lot of snow on the road and it was a struggle to go faster than 40mph. By the time I got to Wheatland, it had cleared of so much that I was able to use the cruise control and travel at normal highway speeds. There were a few snow packed spots here and there, but nothing I couldn't deal with.

That area with the No Travel advisory? Pfffft! Nothing. A little bit of snow but not a problem. It was all two lane highway after that, and though it was a little hairy at times on the way into Lusk, there was little difficulty. After a pit stop in Lusk, I headed north. Every mile there was less and less snow until I reached Mule Creek Jct. and was completely out of the snow.

All in all, not a bad trip. Windy as hell and the gas mileage was for shit, but all was managable. I am completely beat from fighting the wind the entire trip, but a good night's sleep will take care of that.

The great nephew Julian was here and we played with Duplo blocks for a while. That's what I got him for Christmas and he seems to like them. I knew he would, he's a cool kid.

It's the other great nephew's birthday tomorrow. I got him a little chicken that clucks when you squeeze its tail. Now maybe he'll leave great grandma's chicken's alone.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives