Tuesday, February 20, 2007

 

Positive About the NFL


redland
Always something to talk about
When it comes to sports I'm not that guy who likes what everyone else likes. I like boxing even though it's a mess in today's sports world and mismanaged at every level. I like auto racing, but nothing so mundane as NASCAR, I'm into F1. Well not as much as I used to be, but it's cool to be able to tell people that I like Formula One racing. It's cool that I can reference Michael Schumacher or Spa Francorchamps which are a great driver (Ferrari) and a great race track respectively.

I have to admit, though, that when it comes to sports, there's only one real sport, the one I think about most of the time. It's pro football, the NFL.

The league's ultimate game, the reason every NFL season is even played, the Super Bowl was played a couple of weeks ago. So we're done talking about pro football, right?

Not on your life! In the sports world, the NFL is king. The Cowboys are looking for a coach, the speculation is rampant, names are bandied about, who's going to be the new coach of America's Team? It's all the talk in the sports media for a couple of weeks. Wade Phillips? How can this be? He's a .500 coach. Is that what the fans in Dallas deserve?

This is so great. I love football. I could talk football every day of the year. Luckily, it's socially acceptable. The NFL is a 365 day a year enterprise. The San Diego Chargers hire Norv Turner (58-82-1 record as an NFL head coach) and now we have something to talk about for the next week or so. This is great!

It never ends with this sport. There's always something to talk about in the NFL. Free agency and trades, the draft, training camp, it never ends. There's a cable network devoted to this sport, a network that until this year didn't even bother to carry games. But they carried that stuff that the hardcore NFL fan can't live without.

Coming up will be the NFL Combine, where draft eligible players fly to Indianapolis and catch passes and run 40 yard dashes. On TV. And I'll be watching. I can't believe it, but I'll tune in. I will. And I'll talk about it with other people who watched it.

It's the NFL, and as long as Terrell Owens is still in the league, there will always be something to talk about.

BOJ

Labels:


Comments:
The NFL, like Globex-Corporation, is all about domination. In the words of George Carlin "the object of football is to penetrate enemy territory, march down field and get into the end zone."

The NFL has been trying to push the game of American Football (not to be confused with the game known as 'Football' by the rest of the world, which we call 'soccer') onto other continents. Various private attempts at a European football league and more recently NFL Europe trying to make our sport appeal to a more global audience.

Even during the last season the NFL had ad's running for a website www.nfllatino.com with Tony Gonzolez from the KC Cheifs... to spark interest in American Football in Latin American youth.

What I don't understand, to this day, is why the NFL hasn't made Spanish Language broadcasts available nation wide? I work for the other 'unamed company' competing with BOJ's, and we broadcast into Latin America. We provide NFL football every weekend, yet we only get English audio! All of the "Spanish Available on SAP (where available)" that appears on-screen during every game, depends on each local TV station or team to hire their own Spanish commentators. If you want your sport to have global reach, you need to provide it in the other languages of the world!

OK.. enough bitching.. back to my own blog now.

Quinn
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives