Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 

A Football Related MBW

Tomorrow night the Denver Broncos will play the Kansas City Chiefs. The League has changed the way they schedule the Thanksgiving, the Lions and Cowboys no longer get an automatic home game. Change is good, I suppose.

A Broncos/Chiefs game is a natural. It's a great rivalry. What is now the AFC west was the original Western Division of the old American Football league. I may be a little bit biased as a Broncos fan, but I think that, over the last 20 years this has been the best division in football.

For me it's about the rivalries. I like rivalries. You'll immediately think about the Broncos and Raiders (as a Broncos fan, anyway). A great rivalry, though the Raiders have stunk for a couple of years now. Think of former Raiders Coach, Mike Shanahan coming to Denver and winning two Super Bowls. Plus Shanahan contends that the Raiders still owe him money. I take great satisfaction that the Broncos first trip to the Super Bowl involved a trip through the then Super Bowl Champion Oakland Raiders.

While San Diego has been up and down, they tend to put out a quality product. Add that their current coach, Marty Schottenheimer, has coached against the Broncos in 3 AFC championship game loses. As Tim (who lives directly above HBBA) said once "I think John Elway goes to Marty Schotteneimer's home once a year and kicks him square in the nuts." Still, there aren't many coaches who I have more respect for. And if he ever gets the Chargers to the big game, I'll root for Marty Schottenheimer to finally win it. Rooting for Marty ends when he plays the Broncos, though.

That leaves the Chiefs. They're another good rivalry for the Broncos. They're football crazy in that area of Missouri (I've been there on Chief's game days). They love their Chiefs and rightly so. They play good football, if they've completely lacked any defense in the past couple of years. I could get behind the Chiefs if they didn't have to play the Broncos twice a year.

Three good division rivals and I enjoy the six games the Broncos play against them every year. It's so much fun to root against the Raiders, it's fun to figure out how Schottenheimer will drop another game in Denver, it's fun to see the Chiefs try to light it up against Denver.

There is one guy in this division, however, who I will always root against.

I was in a fantasy football league last year with a bunch of SD Politicos. It was a really laid back league. We didn't get together of even schedule an on-line draft, we simply ranked our players and the computer picked our teams based on our rankings.

The first thing I did was ranked Eddie Kennison dead last. Eddie Kennison wiln NEVER be selected by me in any fantasy football league.

Kennison came into the NFL in 1996, a wide receiver with speed to burn. One of the fastest players in the league, I was a fan of Kennison. He started with the Rams, and had a nice rookie season. He suffered some injuries in subsequent season and didn't really live up to his initial promise.

In 2001, the Broncos acquired Kennison. I was pleased. The Broncos already had two great WR's in Rod Smith and Eddie McCaffery, but the prospect of Kennison with his blazing speed lining up in 3 WR sets for the Broncos was intriguing to me.

In the Broncos first game that season, McCaffery broke his leg in a gruesome scene and was out for the season. Hall of Fame RB (if the the selectin committee has any sense) Terrell Davis was also injured. The Broncos offense was missing two key players. At least, I thought, we've got a quality WR in Kennison to step in for McCaffery.

fizinger
I hope Kennison got clobbered on this play...
Kennison stepped into the starting role. He played OK, but wasn't having a stellar season. The Broncos offense struggled. After week 8 Kennison "retired."

Kennison gave up on the Broncos. That's a sin, in my book. The Broncos needed him, but Kennison chose to "retire" instead.

The reason I curse the name of Eddie Kennison, however (and DO NOT mention his name in my house), is that 5 weeks later he "un-retired" and signed with the Chiefs.

The Chiefs!!!

You quit on your team, a team that desparately needed you, and sign with a division rival. You are a miserable excuse for a football player, a miserable excuse for a man.

I generally do not root against people or teams (Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens excepted). I think it's bad Karma. I prefer to root for teams and find it much more satisfying.

I do root against Eddie Kennison. I wish him nothing but ill in his NFL career. While I don't go so far as wish the same injury on him that Eddie McCaffery sustained on September 10th, 2001, I'll admit that the thought has crossed my mind.

I'll be rooting for the Broncos tomorrow night. That's easy, they're my favorite team in any sport. I'll also be rooting against Eddie Kennison, and it will be every bit as easy.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives