Friday, October 27, 2006

 

Sue Foley Photo Friday

french
Miss Sue Foley
I've posted a bunch of Sue Foley photos on Sue Foley Photo Friday. Among my favorites are a series taken by Zeev in Autstin, Texas at Anotne's. Sue look great in all of Zeev's photos, wearing a little black dress and heels. Actually, looking very much the way I like attractive young ladies looking. Good stuff.

But today's photo from the 10,000 Lake Music Festival in 2005 shows Sue looking a lot more natural. In jeans and a tank top (ever been to Northern Minnesota in July?) she looks a lot more like the earthy blues guitar woman she really is.

I really like Sue both ways. What I'm trying to say is that I appreciate when she takes the effort (or her publicist takes the effort) to make her glamorous. I know what she is though, a hard working woman who has made some fantastic music. I spend a lot of time here writing about how much I like looking at Sue Foley. And I do. A lot. But I've personally known women who look as good or much better than Sue Foley. What I really like about Sue what she does with a guitar and her voice, the words and notes she puts down on paper and, thankfully, later, presents to us in their intended form.

Which gets me to my next point. In a couple of weeks time, here on The Globex Corporation Newsletter, you'll be seeing lists of Top 10 Guitarist of all time on this blog. It started the other night at work, Jack mentioned Rolling Stone's top 100 list and we talked about how any list like that is so subjective. So we decided to do our own lists and post them here. Jack showed me his list last night (he's norrowed it down to about 30), Jason is working on one too. We asked Tim and Michelle if they'd like to contribute. And of course I'll be adding my two cents.

We haven't really made a set criteria. It will simply be a list of guitarists which that person thinks are the 10 best of all time. None of us are music scholars so we'll be limited by guitarists we're familiar with. People can make the list because of technical ability, or influence or popularity. Personal taste will also play a part.

So does Sue Foley make my list? That's really tough for me. She is one of my favorite guitarists playing today, but we're talking about hundreds of years of guitar players here. My list will most definitely include a woman, but if I only had one (and I'm not saying it will), I would have to go with Bonnie Raitt. I know what you're thinking, BOJ's got the Red-Head Fever, but Bonnie Raitt is a truly amzing guitarist, her slide work is as good or better than any dyed-in-the-wool bluesman playing today.

It'll be an intersting exercise. Just looking at Jack's list last night, it reminded me of guitarists that I hadn't thought of in quite some time. I don't think anyone's list will be conclusive, and I don't think anyone will think their list will be totally right. The list will, however, totally be theirs. And that's music and taste.

So discuss, who was a better band:

Bon Jovi

or

The Who


You can even vote on the side bar.

Have fun!

BOJ

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives