Friday, October 13, 2006

 

Sue Foley Photo Friday

french
Looking somewhat innocent... She's
not, but it makes for a good picture....
I try to have as many pictures of Sue actually playing guitar as possible. I don't want anyone to think that the only reason that I dedicate valuable blog space to Sue is because I think she's a babe. I don't expect you to believe that I post her photo here weekly because she's a great blues guitarist. B.B. King is a great blues guitarist, but I haven't posted his photo on this blog once. I did post a photo of the late John Lee Hooker on his birthday, though, so I have posted photos of blues guitarists here before.

Sue Foley easily tops the list of blues guitarists I've posted photos of. I could make a graph, but I'd probably be accused of giving Sue more blog space.

I'll admit it, Sue is here weekly, I have Sue Foley Photo Friday because she's easy on the eyes. Oddly, I don't recall one single search engine hit by people looking for Sue Foley. I mention Scarlet Johannsen once (well, now twice) and I get hits every couple of weeks.

And, lets face it, I've found lots of photos of Sue on the web, I'm nowhere near running out of fresh photos. Apparently I'm not the only guy who enjoys photos of blues guitarists.

BOJ

Comments:
And, how, praytell, do you have knowledge one way or the other of Ms. Foley's alleged innocence?
 
I don't, just wishful thinking on my part.

She just looks a lot more innocent here than she does playing guitar on my Sue Foley: Live in Europe DVD.
 
Also, on the Change album, she sings Bessie Smith's Sugar in My Bowl:

Tired of bein' lonely
Tired of bein' blue
I wish I had some good man
To tell my troubles to

Seems like the whole world's wrong
Since my man's been gone

I need a little sugar
In my bowl
Need a little hot dog
On my roll
I could stand a bit of lovin'
Oh, so bad
I feel so funny
I feel so sad

I need a little steam heat
On my floor
Maybe I can fix things up
So they'll go
Whatsa matter, high-fiber
Come on, save my soul
I need a little sugar
In my bowl, doggone it
I need some sugar
In my bowl


Not exactly the most innocent lyrics. I know she didn't write them, but if you hear her sing them, well, she's pretty convincing. And if you hear her sing them, and you're a guy, well, I'll just say it gives me a really special feeling...
 
I love Bessie Smith's In The Dark. Mary Steenburgen sings it in the movie The Butcher's Wife. She has this little girl voice thing going similar to Sue Foley...there's something so very engaging about very mature lyrics given life that way...almost a little inappropriate! No wonder you feel special!
 
I don't feel special, I have a special feeling. Big difference.

I've seen "The Butcher's Wife" but forgot about that scene. It was very cool, and oddly inappropriate as you describe.

On Change and my Sue Foley Live in Europe DVD, Sue's voice is quite a bit more grown up than on previous recordings. There is still an innocence to her singing (regardless of the subject matter).

The one time I saw Sue live (Blue Cafe, Long Beach, CA) she had been on the road a long time. Her "little girl" voice had become quite a bit "gravelly." I actually preferred it, mostly for reasons it's better that I don't go into....
 
BOJ, you need to pack up that special feeling of yours, hit the road, find Sue Foley, and get this thing out of your system.

You will probably hear the special words "restraining order" as they throw you in the cell, and once you've put in jail time, you'll be a true bluesman.

Bring a friend to bail you out.
 
My next big hit song:

Locked Up in Ottawa

Look for it on an upcoming blog....
 
Does it ever feel to you like we're sort of dating or something?

Because if we are, I thought you should know that tomorrow night I'll be busy washing my hair and Tuesday I have volleyball. Wednesday I have my book club but that's usually over by eight or so.

And tomorrow morning at break I'll be trashing you over a Caribou Coffee vanilla latte granola bar with the ladies in my department.

Other than that, my week is pretty much free.
 
I don't want you discussing our fake relationship with other people. I seem laid-back, but I'm actually a very jealous and controlling fake boyfriend.

But, you know, by all means do the book club, volleyball and for God's sake wash your hair.
 
Thanks, hon...I know you're only thinking of me. I am making great strides toward improving my personal cleanliness.
 
Apparently the neighbor, you know, the one I really, really like (still, sorry fake girlfriend) knows who T1G is. Funny how life works out.
 
Hey, I'm not gonna share my fake boyfriend with just anyone!!

And it's not fair that she knows who I am when I don't know who she is. Does she like Jag? It would be okay if you gave her the twenty shots you owe me if it would advance your relationship!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives