Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

Positive About the American Spirit

consistant loser
I swear, mom, I'm not in this photo
I love this country, love everything about it. I love Columbus Day, which we celebrated yesterday. To celebrate, I dressed up and tights and told the sovereign that I'd found a new route to India. Boy did I have a good laugh. It was special for me because it's the first Columbus Day I'd been able to celebrate since 2002. You see, I spent the last couple of years in South Dakota and we didn't celebrate Columbus Day, oh no, we had Native American Day. I don't think it was illegal to talk or think about Columbus on that day, but I never pushed it, doing everything I could to forget about Columbus' failure to do what he told the King and Queen of Spain he did. My personal celebrations for Native American Day are different then they are for Columbus Day. Generally I would accept treaties and firewater from people I really had no business trusting, relocated to the crappiest land imaginable then died of smallpox.

I joke, but I love the American Spirit. I love that this country celebrates a man who, trying to find India, "discovered" a "new world" that was already inhabited by millions of humans. I love that the state of South Dakota, that Columbus never set foot in, rejects Columbus Day and celebrates the people who were already here when Columbus arrived on our shores (actually he never set foot on the North American continent, landing in Haiti and Cuba - worthwhile discoveries, both of those.....). To confuse matters further, when I was in college at the University of South Dakota, we celebrated Pioneer Day. I wasn't into weird celebrations then, but if I did I probably would have built a sod house, talked loudly about Manifest Destiny and complained about all the grasshoppers.

This post is supposed to be about the American Spirit but I keep getting sidetracked. Here I go. New Orleans. Of the American cities that I've never seen, New Orleans has always been at the top of my list for ones I want to visit. I love eating and drinking. Let's face it, those are two things you can definitely get your fill of in that particular city. New Orleans is about entertainment. I know they have other industries, but civic and state leaders agree, to bring the people back, to rebuild New Orleans, it has to become a tourist destination. That's why lots of disaster relief dollars went to rebuilding the Superdome. That's why the NFL has bent over backwards to keep the Saints in New Orleans. That's why they schedulted a Monday Night Football game in New Orleans a few weeks ago. It was an effort by the government and the NFL, a message that New Orleans is back.

I read about another indication that New Orleans is back today in the New Orleans Times-Picayune. New Orleans is back, baby, because the whores have returned!

Hookers Follow Workers' Dollars


For prostitutes working the streets of New Orleans, the post-flood era has sparked a boom in business, largely owing to the influx of an estimated 40,000 to 50,000 out-of-town workers away from their families with money to blow...

Many out-of-town prostitutes have come to New Orleans for the same reasons they might visit another city during, say, a major sporting event. "They follow the Super Bowls, the big games, conventions, things like that. What we have here is like the Super Bowl..."


That's the American spirit. It's entrepreneurialism of the highest order. It's what this great country was built on, you see a need, in this case workers rebuilding a devestated city with lots of money to blow while away from their families, and you fill that need by providing a nescessary service.

And while police are making prostitution arrests, actually more than before the disaster, they are a little more lax on there enforcement, allowing entrepreneurialism to flourish.

It often takes a transfer of cash (to make an arrest), "getting naked with them" and clear evidence that the prostitute wants to trade a sexual favor for cash and not just because "she thinks you're hot...."


Like the entepreneurs they are, the hookers are reinventing themselves, using technology to get around those pesky laws and market themselves.

Prostitutes hand prospective clients a card with an e-mail or Web-site address where they can make "dates."

The new technique makes it much more difficult for vice officers to make cases because they only get the e-mail address on the initial face-to-face meeting, and then only if the prostitute believes they're a real customer and not a cop. Only later, after making the date via e-mail, can they make an arrest at the second meeting.


Mareting and legal geniuses, those whores.

The Globex Corporation Newletter salutes the American spirit, salutes the whores who are making New Orleans a more liveable place by servicing those working so hard to rebuild the devestated city. The American spirit, it can't be beat. Well, it can, but that'll cost you extra......

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives