Monday, October 23, 2006

 

Get It Right

Yesterday, Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Kicker Matt Bryant kicked a 62 yard field goal to win his team's game against the Philadelphia Eagles. As time expired lined up for what I have heard referred to on numerous occasions today as the "second longest field goal in NFL history."

It's now been over 24 hours since the event occurred. I just heard it moments ago on ESPN's pregame football extravaganza, "Matt Bryant's field goal, the second longest in NFL history."

I'm not paid to do research for any entity that's broadcasting sports. ESPN, in fact, has had the opportunity to hire me an numerous occasions, but apparently passed on the offer (or somehow didn't get my resume any of those times). But when I heard about Matt Bryant's field goal, and how it was the second longest in NFL history, I was reminded of two things:

  • November 8th, 1970. Tom Dempsey, Field Goal, 63 yards


  • October 25th, 1998. Jason Elam, Field Goal, 63 yards


  • While Matt Bryant's FG against the Eagles is an impressive feat, how is it the "second longest field goal in NFL history" when two men have kicked longer field goals? How has nobody gotten this right? Why aren't I working at ESPN when this information (dates excluded) was right on the top of my head?

    Guess I stumped the Schwab.

    BOJ

    Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    The Bert Convey
    Principle
    Friends' Blogs
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: United States

    I'm not telling you anything...

    archives