Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

Trying to Get Out of My Living Room

RCWN
From The Rapid City Weekly News:
Doug Jungemann, left, performs with Mike Reardon
during an open mic night in October. Reardon has
helped create a musical community in the city that
embraces and encourages diversity in all fashions
and sounds.
I thought about this story in The Rapid City Weekly News the other day. Sometimes it's hard to believe that I was so involved in music in the RC. I was playing constantly, open mics and gigs with Mike. I've been in Cheyenne for just over 7 months now and I've played at exactly 7 open mics in that time. Two of those were when I was visiting family in the RC, so just 5 were here, all of them in Ft. Collins, CO. With gas around $3 a gallon all summer, that got to be a spendy proposition.

I did join co-worker Jack and his wife on stage the first weekend I was in town. I've played out in Holliday Park a number of times, starting this past spring. And I've played in the front yard of my apartment once during a cookout. I'm playing a lot more guitar than I did in the RC, being spoiled by being associated with two really fine guitar players. I'm still not to their level, but I'm better than I was 6 months ago

I miss playing for people though. Most of the experiences playing here have been great, but no greater than what I used to experience a couple of times a week. Yeah, I have less time to do those sort of things now, but I'd make time if the opportunity were there.

A guy at worked asked me when the next time I was playing was since he wanted to come and see me. I had to tell him that it's been a really long time since I've played. I've learned quite a few new songs, perfected some of the ones I've written, I'm up to my elbows in a new song right now (I worked through the subject matter in a blog a while back). I haven't given up music, I just don't have the opportunity that I used to have.

It's tough. When I went through my pissy week a couple of months back, it was playing at an open mic that really brought me back. When I was flat on my back a few weeks back, I couldn't play guitar. It was that as much as the blinding headaches that depressed me. It was fighting through the headaches and sitting upright long enough to play guitar that really helped ot bring me back.

I can't give up music. I've tried and I can't. I'll continue to play, wherever and whenever I can. If people are around, well that's a bonus. I'll make the occasional show in Ft. Collins, or Laramie, or Boulder or Denver when I can. I've actually met some really great folks at these shows. People that confirm that I can play and that I can write a compelling (if odd) song. People I've never met before. People who've never seen me before. That's a thrill that can't be duplicated in my living room.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives