Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

The Triumphant Return of Positive Tuesday

As I pointed out last week, I may shuffle the order of some weekly blog "features" as I now have new days off. Positive Tuesday and Mega Bitch Wednesday were moved to their respective days since those were my days off at the time. It was nice to have time to think about what I was positive or negative about that week before sitting down to write something. Well, I have Sundays and Mondays off now, which really enhances the NFL viewing experience (and I'm really Positive about that!) but it means I now work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I'll keep everything where it is for now and we'll see how it goes. Sue Foley Photo Friday will remain on Friday in any case. I can't think of a better way to start everyone's weekend, even if it's not really the beginning of my weekend.....

A year contains 12 months. I never really liked this as it's not a tidy round figure. Add in to that that not all months contain the same number of days and February is particularly screwed up. That's the system that we live with, though, so I really don't have any choice to adjust, I simply have to.

Payments on most things are due monthly. I have rent due on the 1st of the month, along with credit card bills, utilities, insurance, telephone/cable/internet, and other monthly bills that come at different times of the month. Being good at budgeting, I've worked it out so that certain bills are paid with different paychecks. The first paycheck of the month covers rent and usually the utilities. The second covers the rest. Groceries are puchased on both paychecks usually and a tidy sum is put away each paycheck for unexpected expenses and just plain fun.

A crimp gets thrown into this plan occasionally, actually two times a year. Don't worry, it's a good kind of crimp. My budgeting allows for two "Payment days" every month for a total of 24 "Payment days" in any given year. The great thing is that a year contains 52 weeks (plus one or two days depending on the year, so untidy....) which means I get paid 26 times a year.

And that, in turn, means that every year there are two paychecks that come that are completely mine. They are unclaimed by anyone, they go straight into the bank. Being a good budgeter, these always sort of catch me by suprise. Because of the way our system of counting time in month for works, these extra paychecks can come in any month, making them even more suprising when they occur.

I wish all of life's blindsides were so pleasant. September is an extra paycheck month for me. All of my bills were paid by my last paycheck, I get paid on Friday (unless I was Tim, who for some reason, gets paid tomorrow - I still don't understand that) and no biller gets any of it.

Actually I have some unexpected bills this month, so a lot of it will be spoken for. Still, I'm not having to take all of that out of my monthly budget. I try to never look ahead and don't try to figure out which two months I'll get an extra paycheck. I like to be suprised.

Even cooler, when I worked at DirecTV in California, I got paid every week. That meant my budget was split into a weekly basis, the first pacheck was rent, the second was car payment, etc. It also meant that instead of getting two extra paychecks a year, I got four. My life at that company was, for the most part, a living hell, but they paid me well and often. Can't complain about that.

All of this is nice, but being the tidy sort, I'd like to revise our system of months. I could go into a long diatribe about where the system of 12 months came from , but forgoing all of that I propose a system of 10 months, each containing at least 36 days. Five would have to contain 37 days, of course, to allow for 365 days (I will not allow "leap months" as contained in a lunar calendar like the Jewish one). And I will allow even more justice ro the lowly second month, given less days than the rest of the months for centuries. It would be one of the months with 37 days, plus it would retain it's leap day every four years, occasionally giving it 38 days, making it the greatest month on the calendar.

Also to tidy things up, the names would be changed on months that require it. For instance, September, October, Novemeber and December would not have to change their names as their names literally mean the seventh through tenth months. Months at the beginning of the year would change their names following that format. The first month would be "Untember" and we'd follow that format. July and August, named for Julius and Agugustus Caesar, would cease to exist. They were Roman Emperors, what the hell are they going to do about it?

I suppose weeks would have to have nine days, so that there would be exactly four weeks in every month. I also propose six day work weeks with three day weekends. Five months would have weeks that had one additional day. I'd make that one part of the weekend as well. I haven't crunched the numbers on this, maybe I've screwed us all into having to work extra days every year. Even so, the constant three day weekends would make up for that.

Here's hoping that the "Blind Orange" Julian Calendar catches on!

BOJ
Born on the 20th of Dutember, 1965.
I propose we make it a holiday honoring
the man with the forsight to make some
sense out of our Calendar....

Comments:
Don't mess with my July birthday, mister! Sure, your system makes more sense but you don't see any Americans enthusiastically jumping on the metric bandwagon!
 
Big deal. So your birthday falls sometime in Tetrember of Quintember. It's so much neater.

Look it's not like I'm promoting speeding up the earth's orbit so that there are exactly 360 days in a year (oh, so evenly divisible by 10.....). This is simple stuff. Not like my quite intricate plan to reallocate the electromagnetic spectrum. Why is the most advantageous portion of the specturm wasted in the AM band?

But I digress.

Support the "Blind Orange" Julian Calendar!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives