Sunday, September 24, 2006

 

Happy Birthday Julian!!!

What's with this stuff?
Silly String is great for a boy
blowing out his second birtday candles......
I have a great-nephew, that is to say, my sister has a daughter who has a son who turned two years old on Saturday. That is to say that my parents, who I think of as very vibrant human beings are great granparents. That is to say that my sister who is just two and a half years older than me is a grandmother. That is to say that, had things worked out differently for me, I could be a father or grandfather by now. I'm not, as far as I know (I didn't always wear two, even with the woman I wrote that song about), but somedays I feel old enough to be a grandfather. Other days, not so much.

I'm 41 and thinking about my own mortality lately. I'm thinking about my parents' mortality a lot. I never knew a great gradparent, they have two great grandchildren. It seems odd to me and makes me think about photos of my ancestors, people who look a little like me but died long before I was born. That's what a great grandparent is to me, not someone who jumps in the car to go to a child's second birthday party.

More than thinking about their mortality, though, I smile a lot when I see Julian enjoying his time with Papa and G-G-Ma. They're extremely lucky. He's even luckier. And I'm lucky to be a wittnes to it all.

I wish many happy more years to the Birthday Boy, but also to his great granparents, grandparents, parents, aunts, unlces and everyone else who knows the special guy. Happy Birthday Julian, we're all lucky to know you.

Great Uncle BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives