Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Money, It's a Hit
Don't Give Me That Do Goody Good Bullshit

Money has never meant a whole lot to me. That's probably a good thing since I work in television. Still I have bills that I have to pay every month, I have to buy food and gas for my car. It's always good to have a little extra money in case something unexpected comes up. I've got all of that plus I have some money leftover with which to buy beer.

So today I was writing out some bills and I checked my checking account balance on-line. Check it out for yourself, the account number is....... wait a second, I can't give you that! Anyway, I checked my balance and was astonished at how low it was after I'd paid all of my bills.

Then I thought about how pleased I would have been to have that same amount of money in the bank just six months ago. Believe me, with everything I've been through, today's checking account balance should't be something I'm worried about. As an added bonus, more money will appear in my account in a little less than two weeks. I still have to watch my money for the little while that I actually posess it, but financially I've really got no worries.

When I was in college I was talking to a high school kid who was lamenting how seldom he got laid. Since I was getting laid regularly at the time I told him that getting laid was overrated. Funny how it's "overrated" when you're getting it regularly. When you're not, it's seemingly the most important thing in the world.

I guess it's the same with money. When I made money faster than I could spend it, I didn't care about money. When I was living hand to mouth, barely making enough to get by, money was the most important thing in my life. I needed a certain amount every month to survive and I would lay awake at night fretting over it.

Laying awake at night actually led me to applying for the job I have now. I was desperate, applying for work in a field I swore I'd never get into again, for a company that had screwed me over in the past. It was simple desperation, something I never would have done if I'd had enough money to get through one more month.

The same amount of money I was fretting over when I looked at my checking balance today. An amount that will be replenished in about 10 days. It's all about perspective. I just have to change my way of looking at it. Thankfully I get to.

BOJ

Comments:
Perspective can be remedied. Not quite as easily as desperation, but it can be done. Shut up Ed. Okay.
 
My current perspective is a product of my desperation.

And WwtK is, in this girl's opinion, NEVER overrated!!! Gee, that sounded desperate. Well, okay, there was this one partner in particular where it was overrated, for much too long a period of time. Then there was this one who was so amazing that...well, nevermind.

I'm currently knitting a sweater.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives