Wednesday, June 07, 2006

 

I Demand You All Like What I Like

Why can't people just like the same things as me? I'm not talking about everyone's personal tastes conforming to mine, or validation for my magnificent taste in all things artistic and culinary. It would just be a whole lot easier to live my life if other people liked the same things as me.

Sue Foley has a new album out, James Harman had a new one out about a year ago, but unlike someone who likes Jessica Simpson, I can't just go down to Wal-Mart and buy a CD by one of my favorite artists. I find very little music I like in Wal-Mart and hate going there anyway, not because of some sort of "protect the small local businesses" bullshit, but because the parking lot is like a a demolition derby. Towns who don't want a Wal-Mart in their community are going about it all wrong. Don't try to vote to keep Wal-Mart out, just do everything you can to get rid of NASCAR. Defeat NASCAR and Wal-Mart will follow.

OK, so a crappy lowest common denominator retailer won't carry music I like. Like I really expected it to. But I went to the only real record store in town and they didn't have it. It was a sort of alternative record store, you know, lots of inscense and black light posters, and I really didn't expect them to have the latest Sue Foley release, but it was my only option in Cheyenne. Sure, they could order it for me, but other people don't have to go through this kind of hassle to listen to music they like. Nope, if everyone just liked what I liked, even Wal-Mart would carry CD's by Sue Foley, James Harman, Abby Someone, Supafloss, Steve James, Ben Folds (actually I think you can find his CD's there), Corey Harris, Susan Tedeschi, John Valby, etc.

And if everyone liked what I liked, Sue Foley would play concerts closer than Livingston Fucking Montana. I'd have gone, too, but it was like a 700 mile drive and I had to work that day. No, Sue would play at one of the local bars that converted from having only country acts after the world conformed to my tastes. She'd probably even stay at my place because I really like myself and if everyone liked the same things as me, Sue would like me as much as I do.

Those are selfish reasons, of course. It would make things easier for me if everyone liked what I do, but more importantly some very talented people would finally get the fame and fortune they deserve. I'm listening to Ben Folds right now. He made a splash about six years ago with great singles like Brick, The Battle of Who Could Care Less and One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces. Most people probably figure Ben is retired now (although I saw him on an episode of the cool show Love Monkey this season). But since the album Whatever and Ever, Amen, Ben Folds Five released The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner and after the breakup of BFF, Ben realeased solo albums Rockin' the Suburbs, a great live solo album called Ben Folds Live (not the most clever title, I know, but the "L" in Live is an upside down and backwards "F" and the font is the same that BFF used on all of their album covers) and his fantastic latest release Songs for Silverman. His career's not over, he's making music as good or better than people knew who he was. Anyone who can write songs like Landed and Gracie deserve notice, credit and accolades.

I could write something similar about any musicians I listen to a lot. My life would be a lot poorer without the music of Abby Someone, Steve James and the like. I think everyone else is a little poorer for not knowing about them. The artists themselves are, of course poorer in a different sense. The music I like tends to be made by musicians who are really doing it for the music. I'd just like to see them get all the great things they deserve.

BOJ

Comments:
Is this really what you want? If everyone liked what you like these things would be more accessible but that would make you boring, average, mainstream and normal. You would be forced to enjoy Britney Spears, Kathy Lee Gifford, country music and become a Republican to avoid being boring, average, mainstream and normal.
 
Oh, 1gal!!! That sounds very scary. Please, don't talk ike that. Don't even get into the concepts. Please, I'm in pain!
 
It's okay, Ed, go to your happy place. These scary things will take place only if BOJ's demand actually comes true. And given the lowest common denominator demand for entertainment in this country it will never happen.

Hey! When are we going to Scenic to watch BOJ get tanked?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives