Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

Open Mic-ing Once Again

Just got back from Ft. Collins and the debut open mic at Somi's. I found it on the internt today and thought I'd check it out as it's my day off.

First of all, the place was a lot classier than I expected. As I sat at the bar (where I belong even if I'm not drinking beer)I was contemplating how to clean up my solo act. I was running through all of the acceptable song I know, trying to figure out a set list. They do a different sort of thing at Somi's, having a featured performer, a regular who does a long set. That was great as it gave me more time to think.

I followed the featured performer and opened up with You Don't Love Me Anymore, and quickly followed by I Know All The Presidents in Order. The crowd now expecting the whacky, I threw them a change-up and gave them the disco classic I Will Survive, OK, still a little bit whacky but only because of the delivery. Serious song, that one. Then it was on to the original material, Wall Drug didn't go over as well as I would have liked, I think that's a pretty regional song. The people who knew what Wall Drug and the Corn Palace are seemed to enjoy it.

As I looked at the crowd I wasn't sure how far I should go. It was an older group, I wasn't sure how they would react to anything a little bit controversial. Then I thought "screw it, I don't even live in this state" and played Two Condoms. A crowd that was somewhat indifferent was suddenly on my side. I really need to accidentally write more songs as good as that one. Everyone turned and looked and even seemed to laugh at the appropriate times. Always good when that happens. I had one song left and though I considered the one about masturbation, I went with In My Hand. I thought I was losing the crowd, but the boobie verse brought them back. I was congratulated vociferously (I bet I spelled both of those words wrong) by patrons, musicians and bar staff and management. I even got told I was a pretty good guitar player which means that the misdirection bullshit worked as planned. Make 'em laugh and they'll forget that you sucked on guitar.

I hung out for the rest of the show, got asked about possibly playing a street festival in Ft. Collins, saw lots of great musicians and met a lot of folks. As this was the inagural show at Somi's, I was asked if I wanted to show up next week, be a regular. Me, a regular at an open mic? I guess it could happen. Seriously, being about an hour away, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it every week, but I'd like to get back. I want to check out some other shows in the area as well.

And, on the drive home, I relaized how much my attitude toward my life in Cheyenne has improved. I got to do one of my favorite things here and it felt pretty comfortable. It was a bit of a rush that people who didn't know me seemed to like what I do. Now if I can just do one of my other favorite things, Waltzing with the Kaiser, with someone I don't know who ends up liking what I do..... well then, life would be just great.....

How many shots is that T1G?

And TSA, they have New Belgium brews on tap. I'm just sayin'.....

BOJ

Comments:
I believe the count stands at eighteen. And you spelled both of those words correctly.
 
Both correct? No freakin' way! I should get on the next plane to Vegas.

The minus side of the Jaeger shots is that you have to come to Cheyenne to get them. I probably should have mentioned that earlier. Sorry.
 
Since we started this WwtK business while you were still in the RC, wouldn't it be only fair if we met halfway to settle up?
 
But booze tastes so much better when there's absolutely nothing else to do. That makes Cheyenne the best possible place to do 18 shots of Jaeger.
 
Hey! You're having fun! You did spell those two words correctly, but you screwed up throw on the Onion article about the "new" Jesus religion. Is halfway like in Scenic? I would almost pay to see you to get hammered in Scenic.
 
Ed, you may be on to something big! Maybe others would pay to see BOJ get hammered in Scenic, too. We could sell tickets! Print up tshirts! Maybe get the Jaeger folks to do some sort of promotional tie-in! ASO could play a set or two! Can't you just smell the money!?!?!?
 
I'm thinking Fox News. I'm thinking BOJ money. I'm thinking Blind Orange Julius for Emperor. That One Cheerleader could be there. Thune and Daschle, too. A money making political, philosophical, juice guzzling, extremely verbose, freewheeling, BLAST. Nick and Alex will definitely have to be there. Oh yeah.
 
I've never actually been to Scenic, but I imagine that there's less to do there than in Cheyenne. A better place for excessive drinking than Cheyenne?
 
What we all want to know is have you virtually been to scenic!

I've never been to Scenic, too. Let's get a date on the calendar! Ed, you can scout out a possible location for the event. I think camping or other overnight accomodations are needed, I'm going to need a big time block to down those eighteen (and counting) shots and not suffer serious consequences. Maybe I need to start training.
 
I don't know, overnight with a woman who's planning on drinking 18+ shots of Jaegermeister.

Wait a second, I've had this fantasy before.....
 
Just so you understand, my body may be available, but my heart is taken. Wait a minute...that's what a guy would prefer in a woman tanked up on Jaeger.
 
The smart-ass answer would be to agree with you and agree that it's no problem. You kind of beat me to the punch on that one, though.
 
You keep me sharp, BOJ. Hey, we could work up a comedy act! You wanna be the straight man?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives