Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

I Need Napkins & Spreadable Margarine

German doesn't have it's own word for napkin, using the French word serviette when referring to something one would clean up at the table with. I'm not really sure what the reasoning is for this. Did the barbaric Germans not ever wipe their mouths while eating? Did they simply think an item with that express pupose didn't deserve a name? Is the Old German word for napkin simply the same as shirt or trousers?

It only comes up because I'm out of napkins. It's really not such a big deal, though I do try to wipe my mouth and hands occasionally while dining. I can always improvise. I do have paper towels. Paper towels last forever in my house, probably because of my upbringing. Paper towels were valuable in our houshold, you never used them. If you had to clean a window, you did it with newspaper and not to much glass cleaner. I have a little tinge of guilt every time I use a paper towel for anything. I haven't lived at home for a really long time now, I've kept house myself since I was married and yet the old habits won't die.

So I've gotta buy some napkins this week. No big deal, it's regularly scheduled grocery week, though I could probably get buy if I didn't buy any food items. I need spereadable margarine, that's about the only thing that I'm really running short on. At least it's the only thing I can think of now.

I don't make a grocery list. One, since I'm out of an item, it's no longer around to remind me that I need it. I know that sounds strange, but that's how t works with me. I see things at the old King Sooper and decide I need them. That means I usually spend twice as much money as I was planning to.

One thing I started doing a couple of years ago is eating a big meal before grocery shopping. I'd read that you shouldn't shop for groceries while hungry. Seems like good advice, but the last couple of times I went shopping I still spent about twice as much money as I planned to.

So I'll probably hit the King Sooper on Tuesday or Wednesday, really only needing napkins and spreadable margarine, but still spending around $100 anyway.

BOJ

Comments:
Dude, buy a huge package of paper towels and waste the whole works. You need to do this. Risking bringing the wrath of who knows, I recommend smoking about three joints one hour before going to a grocery store. It's something I haven't done for a long while, but what the hell. Be sure to go to a 24 hour store as you may be there for some time!
 
I need napkins, too, but I'm strictly a butter sort of girl.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives