Friday, February 17, 2006

 

Hitting Things Works Wonders

Had a little change this morning. Instead of the temperature being 58 degrees when I woke up, it was 56. So it was out in the snow at 9am to find a pay phone to call the landlord. He was actually quite cheerful, came over promptly and even brought a space heater from home.

We then went down to the basement and checked on the furnace. He told me that the gas valves on the furnaces were quite old and they sometime stuck. Taking the cover off the front to make sure the pilot was still lit, he then took the heavy metal cover and banged it on the valve once hard. Bingo! All the burner instanly lit and it was up to 65 degrees in the apartment in about two hours. Lesson learned? If things don't cooperate, just hit them with a heavy metal object. I can't wait for my next run in with HR......

We got more snow overnight. Just a dusting this time, but I don't think the temp has been over 10 since Wednesday morning. All of the snow we've had since then is still on the ground. The fine city fathers seem to think it wastful to actually plow the streets, so the snow that fell on the streets is still on the streets. Nice. At least 6 inches have fallen this week and it's all still on the streets. When I moved to California, I thought the snow-handling abilities of the Subaru were wasted and considered getting rid of it. I didn't and I'm glad. If this is the way they're going to handle things around here then I'm glad I still have the 'Ru.

The cable, phone and internet get hooked up tomorrow between 8am and noon. I'm really looking forward to this. Today I worked on a graphic for my first post from Residence #27. The post is actually already written, but since I've been unable to add grapics from the Laramie County Public Library, I thought it would be nice to have something special from my first post from home. Like all good ideas it came to me in the shower and while it's not the most original thing ever done, I must say it looks quite authentic. I don't want to oversell it, just check it out at your leisure.

And that brings me to The BOJ News Service. Being unable to do graphics has caused that site to go down the tubes. Hopefully I'll be able to update again from home. While I tried to do things from a South Dakota perspective in the past, I'm going to try to be more national now, since I'm no longer a South Dakota resident. Hope you like the new direction. The fun I could have had with the VP shooting a guy while hunting......

Might have company tomorrow, might not. Nobody seems to feel the need to answer my emails. Well, at least I'll be awake early as I wait on the cable guy.

BOJ

Comments:
Just imagine the fun you could have actually hunting with the vice-president. Maybe you could talk him into using some really cool gear like an M3 Bradley, with that 25mm chain gun swinging around, blowing things right down. Screw the lame shotgun thing. A guy with his noble position should be playing with the good stuff. I'm pretty sure he's drinking the good stuff.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives