Friday, December 16, 2005

 

Wind

">itblows
"The Weather Control Project" is way ahead
of the Death Ray and Germ Warfare projects.....
If I said I didn't know what I was in for, weather-wise, when I moved back to the RC a little over two years ago I'd be lying. Life hasn't been really peachy since moving back here, stuff has just come out of nowhere to beat the crap out of me emotionally, but I knew about the weather.

Actually, I often brag about our weather. Considering our lattitude, we actually enjoy very mild winters here. I can drive an hour or less, gain 3000 feet in elevation and see snow for most of the winter. Sure we get snow down here at 3200 feet, sometimes pretty big snows, but they never stick around like they do in the Twin Cities. That was freaking depressing, it just sucked the life out of you by the time February rolled around. No, our climate is pretty cool. That six inches of snow that falls on a Monday will most likely be gone by that Wednesday.

I forgot about the wind. Damn that wind! I was coming home from work yesterday and I couldn't get the Subaru up to 65mph on I-90 because I was travelling straight into the wind. I've lost a pound or two recently and the wind has threatened to knock me off of my feet more than once this week. My harps nearly blew away! They were in that guitar case thingy, I put them down while putting the car in the garage and when I check on them they'd moved about 3 feet!

A day or two of this I could take, but it's been doing this all week. I know I'll be tempting fated by saying this, but given the choice of 6 inches of snow on the ground for a week or the winds we've had this week, damn it, I'd take the wind! I'm tempting fate because we'd never get the snow without the wind, of course. Six inches of snow and this wind would play havoc with everything going on in this town, it'd make it impossible to get around. Still, if I could have just one, I'd take the snow over the wind any day.

And while our temperatures have been relatively mild this week, those temperatures coupled with 30mph winds that have been blowing pretty much constantly can make being outside simply miserable. Wind Chill. I tried to explain it to people on the west coast, but they just didn't seem to get it. "But Dude, it's not really colder, it just feels colder. Why would I bullshit you about this?"

What can I say. Somewhere, deep in my brain, I knew this is what I was getting myself into when I moved back here. I guess it was simple denial. In truth, you learn to deal with it. I've learned to deal with it again. It's annoying, but to quote Gloria Gaynor (and Patient 957 and Slappy is Jebus and Bruce's Haircut and The Doug and Andy Experience featuring Andy and Doug and Friends[?]) I Will Survive.

BOJ

Comments:
Since I have to work in this stuff everyday, I would have to agree with you. Snow yes, wind no!
 
I thought the wind blew in South Dakota because North Dakota sucks. At least that's what everybody told me when I moved here from there!
 
That 1 Gal in from North Dakota? Sorth of changes my opinion of her......

I heard, now I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that North Dakota's million dollar state lottery pays it's winners at the rate of a dollar a year for the rest of their lives.....

Sounds reasonable.
 
I moved to SD from ND but I'm not really from there. I grew up in four states (Nevada, Colorado, Mississippi & ND) was educated in eight public schools in three of those states and attended one liberal arts Lutheran college in Mpls before settling in SD. I manage to keep things straight by remembering that the always correct answer to "where are you?" is simply "here". And only the full-blooded Norwegian lottery winners are paid off in that fashion.
 
OK, opinion of you rising again. And having grown up in a number of states and a US territory myself, that raises my opinion of you even more.

Any truth to the rumor that all of the Norwegians moved from SD to ND, therby raising the average IQ of both states?
 
I'm half Norwegian and my IQ is 136. My other half is Cajun, Scottish and German so I have a teensy bit of that superior Arian blood. If I were a full-blooded Norski would my IQ then be 68? Or if I weren't Norwegian at all would it be 272? Maybe a pie chart would help me understand these confusing ratios.
 
Half Norwegian. Opinion dropping again......

When I moved to California, the movie Fargo was just hitting the premium cable channels. Having just moved from Minnesota, people asked me if they actually talked like that in Minnesota. I explained that it was an exageration, but not as much as you'd think.

I also explained that the accent in the movie was one I heard growing up. My mom is from eastern SD, a town settled primarily by Germans, but a good number of Norwegians settled on farms north of town (the road my mom's farm was on has some county numerical designation, but since it goes north to the area where the Norwegians settled, even today it's known as 'the Norwegian gravel'). Anyway, the Norwegians talked like they do in the movie Fargo. I contend that 'Minnesota' accent is really an ethnic small-town Norwegian accent.

In any case, I've always found those small town ethnic differences really interesting, and find it sad that they're dissapearing. To a certain degree, even the ethnic neighborhoods in bigger cities are a thing of the past (unless you live in SoCal, where there are whole neighborhoods where you could spend your whole life never speaking English).

We all are what we are. I've always thought that ethnic diversity is a great thing. If I ever sound like I'm making fun of Norwegians or Hispanics, I am only joking. I'm about as ethnically German as a person can be, something I'm pretty proud of. On the other hand, the best dogs I've ever had were mutts, the pure-breads just too high strung to be manageable.

So be Norwegian, and I'll make fun of it. That's what I do, just don't take it seriously. Actually you shouldn't take too much of what you find here seriously.

As far as IQ and ratios, I never really had much of a head for math.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives