Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Two Card Games

I'm not sure if I'm ready to make an official announcement yet, but I may be giving up the whole poker thing and concentrate on cribage as my main card game. I'll be off on the professional cribage circuit any day now. Yes, even four opponents (5 handed cribage?) couldn't stop me, they could only hope to contain me. Playing the bastardized 5 player rules and keeping score on paper due to a cribage board that was hopelessly overmatched by the sheer number of people playing, I managed to skunk 3 of my competitors, the fourth managing to avoid being skunked by a mere 3 points, or something like that. I was on fire baby! I'm king of the cribage world, or at least west side Rapid City.

That would all be well and good, but we got together to play poker tonight. Actually, I made a decent showing, managing to outlast 3 other players, my ouster setting up the gut wrenching finale' between TSA and our favorite Public Accountant whose status remains non-Certified. The battle of cousins went down pretty quickly with Corrin making short work of TSA, but my guess is she doesn't handle the 12 string nearly as well as the runner up.

The drink of choice for me this evening was some bizare Leinenkugel's brew with apple and cinamon. Very odd, but given the chance it could grow on me. A little hard to switch back to regular beer afterward, and I still have this funky apple aftertaste in my mouth, but all in all a pleasurable drinking experience. And from my poor spelling in this post, the brew seems to have acheived its desired effect......

BOJ

Comments:
Did you pick up fifty cases of Leinie's when you were in Wisconsinland? It can be procured at a very reasonable price out there, you just need a sizable vehicle to bring lots of it home. My current card game is 10 Point Pitch. And I'm getting pretty good at it. I didn't play cards at all til about 6 months ago but I'm really getting into it!
 
Four people from my facility in Minnesota ended up working at the same facility in California. Because of that we were able to kind of keep from being totally overwhelmed by west coast "culture." One day I just remarked off handedly that the only thing I really missed about living in Minnesota was Leinie's. I've never thought of Leinie's as a great beer (possible exception: Leinenkugel Red - Great, great beer) but it was so atypical of the beer we could get in California that you couldn't help but miss it a little bit.

Three of us ended up on a pool team together. When we needed to come up with a name, we decided on "Team Leinenkugel" for the simple reason that it baffled everyone else in the league. We got t-shirts from the Leinie Lodge web site and even bought a few extra to give to friends.

You can't buy Leinie's in California, but because Leinie's runs the brew pub in Phoenix's Bank One Ballpark, you can buy it in Arizona. I never drove to Arizona just to buy Leinie's, but if anyone we knew was going to Arizona for any reason, we'd shoot them some money and have them bring back as much Leinie's as they could carry.

10 point pitch is a good game, our family played 4 point pitch which is ridiculously easy. Card playing gets started pretty early in our family and 4 point pitch is a game that my nephew started playing when he was 4 or 5 years old. His sisters played at a pretty young age too. 10 point required some thought. Actually, we discussed games like that and pinochle last night. Those are games you really have to pay attention to. In my mind they sort of bring the drinking to a halt, and where's the fun in that?
 
Last weekend I played 10 point pitch and managed to consume a lovely bottle of pinot noir at the same time. Which means that I was more than a little under the weather last Sunday, but I think that was due to the fact that I finished Diane's gin & tonic for her, not that she necessarily wanted me to. Sometimes I just don't know my limit. Leinie's honey weiss is my summer beer. There are those who say wheat beers don't count but I like a little lemon in mine!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives