Thursday, December 22, 2005

 

Just Some of What I've Been Up To

I know, I know, I haven't posted in a while, and I feel just horrible about it. Then again, I haven't been near the computer too much.

The initial plan was to transfer my internet and phone to the new place since the same cable company provides service to both places. Monday's phone call from the fine folks at Echostar Communications put a crimp into that plan. In short, I don't see the logic of paying to transfer service and paying for the month of January when I may not be there past the first week of January. So all internet and phone communication is done in a location other than that in which I'm sleeping. Makes creating the odd post a little more difficult than usual.

Still haven't made any decision on what the hell I'm doing. I was quite surprised to find a number of compelling financial reasons to stay in, what Shawn Bitz refers to as "God's Favorite Vacation Spot." Pales in comparision to what I'd be making in Wyoming, but I'm starting to doubt how happy I could be there.

Despite all of that, I've been trying to hit as many open mics as I can around loads of crap being transported from one location to the other. I made a rare Cheers appearance on Sunday night. The same thing happened last year, writing a Christmas song so late in the season sort of forces you out to play it as many times as possible, to get your money's worth, so to speak. Another Martha Stewart Christmas was on the playlist, of course, with a lot of the more questionable originals that I try not to do at Dunn Bros. You know, songs like Two Condoms. I've got two stories (yes, T1G, two stories) about that song from Sunday night. First, when I walked in, a guy I don't even know asked to hear Two Condoms, though he didn't know what it was called. It's weird that something I wrote on accident had any kind of impact on anybody. The second story was that Josh Marquis of ASO was at an open mic in Lead. He played there for a while, doing some covers and some originals. Somebody asked if he could play any covers of originals, so he played a punk version of Two Condoms! I've been covered by an actual working musician! Who woulda thunk it?

Tuesday I hit the show at Bully Blends. They were giving everbody three songs, so I did Springsteen's Atlantic City, some band from Michigan's I Know All The Presidents in Order (I've been trying to find out the name of the band so I can credit them - I NEVER take credit for that song myself and it goes over really well) and planned to finish up with Another Martha Stewart Christmas. I've added the original harp break back into the song, the first two songs didn't require harmonica, so I strapped on the orthodontia with D harp and played. The only problem is that I forgot to take the harp break. I was sure to point it out afterward to everyone, and I think everyone realized it. So I got to do one more song and finished up with Weird Al's You Don't Love Me Anymore. I was planning to hit an ASO acoustic show at Philly's, but I got roped into a Jam with some folks at Bully Blends, doing 957 standards Bitch and Anti-Love Song with Joe Bucholz. By that time I was to beat to hit a bar and went back to the trailer.

Moved crap all day yesterday as well and attended my nephew's 24th birthday (.....mmmmmmmm, Chili....). Got two Dunn Bros. kind of late and apparently it was another big night there. TSA and I got to do two songs at the very end. Only having two songs, we had to deny the request of Mojo, which makes me feel bad, because if someone requests something that I think we do pretty well, it sucks to not be able ot do it. But what we had planned was pretty cool, Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show's On the Cover of the Rolling Stone. TSA has the uncanny ability of picking songs that will sound really cool when we do them. Like Tull's Locomotive Breath, it's a song I never would have even considered having an inkling of a though about maybe doing. But it worked. Joined by Mike Reardon on vocals and tamborine (just like the 957 days) it went over quite well. Did that Martha Stewart song to close things out.

I'm back at the apartment today, taking more loads to the trailer. I'd like to think I can finish it up today and get started on cleaning, but I doubt that will happen. It's amazing the amount of crap you can accumulate in just over two years. I'm trying to be very judicious in just plain throwing crap out. I've already moved a lot of clothes that I'll probably never wear, so I'm going to try to be better about that with some of the other items.

Merry Christmas (or whatever you're celebrating this time of the year) to you all.

BOJ

Comments:
MmmmmHmmmmm. Decisions. I will never move away from the Hills area again. For anything. Last year that Fox producer (who it turns out was/is real) offered me five large a WEEK to live in Vegas for six months to be a Greg Allman impersonator on some show he was putting together. My answer? Sorry, don't like Vegas. You were there. It was open mic night at Cheers. The Hills are great.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives