Friday, December 23, 2005

 

I've Gotta Learn to Not Hold Grudges

Mega-Bitch Tuesdays aside, I'm pissed off most of the time. At least in my mind it's for a good reason, but sometimes I'll talk to somebody else about something I'm pissed about and they don't react the same way as me. I just hang on to the crap way too long, often to my detriment.

When DirecTV purchased USSB, I got a job in California. DirecTV ran the USSB plant for about a month before shutting it down. During that time we got paid by the good folks in California. My last paycheck didn't arrive in the mail I was promised it would. That wouldn't be anything to get worked up about, but I was starting my move to Long Beach the next day. When the check didn't arrive the next day, I was pretty pissed, but I was checked out of my apartment and on the road. I had forwarded mail to my parents and hoped it would get there when I did.

I was given something like 7 days to make the trip so I spent a few days at my parents'. When my check didn't arrive in a couple of days, I called my superviser in California and asked him what was up. I got his machine and left a message outlining my situation and a number at which I could be reached. Nothing. I called again, left another message. Again nothing. I'm getting pretty mad now. I call one more time, get the machine again and I just go through the roof. I call the Vice President of the company formerly known as USSB and ask him if he could do anything. He said he would. In less than 24 hours I had a check in my hand and I was on the road.

When I arrived in Long Beach, there was the matter of a lump sum settlement that all former USSB employees received. When I got mine, it was about $6,000 short. So before I've worked on minute in this facility, they're already dicking me around on pretty substantial sums of cash. I'm really PO'd know, but I have to go to work.

Did it effect my job performance? Never. Did it effect my attitude toward DirecTV? You're damn right it did. I was an attitude problem from day one, even before I found out that Jimmy Kusyk is a miserable worthless piece of shit (damn, I hope he Googles his name some time and finds this). I was completely justified in having the attitude I had, but then again, in the end it probably cost me my job. When a company is cutting 50% of a department, they're probably not going to keep the guy who acts like (and doesn't) want to be there. They gave me a pretty nice sum of cash (they actually got the amount right this time) and I went on with my life.

This past Palm Sunday, Pastor Thomas Beaverson expressed his wish that God would strike Judge George Greer dead along with any judge who ruled in favor of abortion or homosexual marriage. That was it for me at Zion Lutheran Church in Rapid City South Dakota (it's that one on HWY 16 by the water tower). I expressed my disgust in a letter and made it pretty clear that I would never attend that church again.

Pastor Tom came to Dunn Bros. the Wednesday he received the letter and apologized. That's fine, I forgive the man, had already forgiven him at that time. What I haven't forgiven is the church for not letting me know that things have changed. Apparently they have, and I heard it second hand. That's not the way something like that should be handled.

When Pat Robertson said he wanted the US Government to kill democratically elect President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela, he tried first to say he was misinterpreted. There was no room for misinterpretation in his statement, so the next day he issued an apology, saying he was speaking out of anger and didn't really advocate the assassination of a foreign head of state. Great, that's what I wanted to hear. Even nut-balls make rash statements when they're angry. The problem is that he advocated the death of Hugo Chavez on The 700 Club TV program, but he issued the apology on his web site. Who he essentially apologized to was the media and concerned citizens who were pissed at him. He did not apologize to his regular viewers.

Pastor Tom apologized to me, and I accept that apology. What needed to happen, though, was that a sermon the very next week needed to be delivered that it is not morally or scripturally correct to preach that you want God to strike anyone dead. I make a big deal about this because some nut-case, probably acting on something he heard in his church, offered a sum of money to anyone who would kill Judge George Greer. If you preach that kid of stuff, sometimes people take you up on it, seeing themselves as "instruments of God."

But my point here is that I haven't been to church since my niece's confirmation, I've missed out on things my family does as a group and only because I'm holding a grudge. I held a grudge against DirecTV and eventually they got rid of me over it. I'm currently pretty pissed off at Echostar Communications because of the way the totally screwed up my recent application to their company.

Make no bones about it, Echostar could give less than a damn if I ever work for them. They're a big company, they don't specifically need me, they need a body to fill a slot. At least that's the way their HR looks at it.

Since I took the job in Cheyenne, I'd better learn to not hold a grudge against the company for my shoddy pre-hiring treatment, or I'm going to find myself in the same shitty situation I've been in for the past two years.

BOJ

Comments:
Geez, I don't know about this. Slamming one of my heroes, Pat Robertson. Wow. Cheyenne. Bummer. I am thinking that with the attitude you've had, it might be best for you to carry some guns and a few fragmentation grenades. Maybe some incendiary devices, too. Hope I see you before you leave.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives