Wednesday, November 23, 2005

 

Stories From the Road

I'm well rested, showered and I've put out all of the little fires that were smoldering at home while I was on the road. I should start a load of laundry, but there'll be time for that over the next couple of days, so it can wait. Bread for the Thanksgiving celebration with my family is getting read as I type, so pull up a chair and listen to a few stories from Mike & BOJ's amazing road trip to the shores of Lake Michigan.

First of all, I've always thought I had a great sense of direction. How the state of Wisconsin turned me 180 degrees around is beyond me. North was South, East was West in my mind the whole time we were in Two Rivers.
johnsuezeke
Our Two Rivers hosts John and Susie
with a complimentary Mike Reardon CD and their Westie,
Zeke, whose escape the day before allowed
us to see more of the neighborhood
than we had anticipated.....
I had to remember that Lake Michigan was to the East of us or I'd get hopelessly lost. Luckily I was in site of the lake on most occasions, so everything worked out OK.

We played a small Catholic college in Manitowoc on Friday night, nuns and friends by far outnumbering students in attendence. Playing for nuns was a new experience, though oddly, it didn't change my outlook at all. "Buddy Christ" was also in attendance (thanks MonyP!) as he's become a regular resident of my funky harp case. I cut out a slot for him in the foam and everything.

Mike and I hit the road on Saturday afternoon and headed for Chicago. Mike is from the Boston area, I've lived in much bigger cites than Rapid City in my life, having spent a good deal of time in LA a few years ago.
ltd
You find intereting things when you're lost.
How can light be both infinite and limited?
You'd think that at least one of us would have retained some of our urban survival skills, but neither of us was able to remember driving directions told to us and we were unprepared for tolls on the way into Chicago. That said, we did eventually arrive at Lin and Carol's in Chicago (turn right off of Howard at the Popeye's Chicken), Mike's newly purchased cell phone saving the day.

After a shower and bite to eat, people started arriving at our "sold out" house concert, most even agreeing to the suggested donation.
lin
One of our hosts, Lin.
Our host, Lin started off the festivities, doing a few numbers before Mike and I took the stage. I actually met Lin before Mike did as she played an open mic that P957 attempted to host a couple of summers ago. I liked her then but got to know her a little bit better this past summer. She has a remarkably strong voice and a penchant for singing in other languages (Lesotho, Spanish, Portugese and Punjabi on this particular evening).

Then it was Mike and I. Only one other time, with 957, have I played in a concert type of setting.
staged
Mike and I in an obviously staged photo. "Buddy Christ" is visible
on the mantle. We were amply protected through the evening.
That time I'll admit that it actually freaked me out a bit to have everyone in the room looking at me and paying attention to everything I did. So I jokingly told everyone to stop looking at me or leave. Apparently I didn't offend anyone as they all stayed. We were able to get 8 of Mike's orignals, joined by Barb from local band "The Booze Hags" on Mike's Echoes.
bhbabs
"Booze Hag" Barbara
We had only practiced Echoes a couple of times before playing it in frong of a lot of people. Admittedly, the final rehersal probably sounded better than the performance, but we all settled in and found our space in the new arrangement. I was able to do a lot more on harp since I wasn't burdedned by signing harmony for this performance of the song. Barb has an amazing voice and was able to give the song a completely different sound than when Mike and I play it. It's always fun to play with someone new, particularly when she has such fine tast in Korean/Vegan restaurants, something I found out the next day as the three of us had an enjoyable lunch.

We played a number of covers after the originals were through, starting with some Neal Young and Coldplay (you've never heard Yellow until you've heard it with added harmonica!).
hey
The crowd joining in on the "HEY"'s in the Beatles'
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Of course we played a few Beatles tunes, our You've Got To Hide Your Love Away/Norwegian Wood medley. Lin singing a verse of the later in Punjabi before Mike and I launched into the traditional English. We finished up our portion of the entertainment with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (Reprise)/A Day in the Life. Again, an interesting acoustic arangement that I've managed to find a little harp room in.

After food was served (and a nice scotch and a few beers for the harmonica player),
withbh
Mike and I with Babs and Patti, "The Booze Hags."
a jam broke out. I played things in style that I never thought I was capable of. It was certainly one of the most fun musical experiences that I've ever been lucky enough to be a part of.

The next day, Mike, Babs and I met Lin and Carol at Bill's Blues in Evanston for an open mic that we are apparently invited back to any time we want. All of the performer there are, of course, likewise invited to Dunn Bros. in the RC on any Wednesday night. The most hilarious moment of the trip happened as a stranger came up to Barb and asked, quite seriously, "aren't you a Booze Hag?" I believe I have a new pick-up line. It's no "waltzing with the Kaiser," but it's pretty damn funny. Actually, the "Booze Hag" inquiry was quite complimentary from the man who asked her, but I like to just leave it out of context as it makes me laugh that way.

Monday it was out to a western suburb to facilitate and easier escape from the Windy City on Tuesday morning. We were on the road by 6:45am (mountain time, damnit, we're from the time zone that the rest of the country forgot) and got in shortly after 8pm last night. The trip was completely uneventful, which is to say "perfect."

I hope you enjoy the photos and stories. I haven't ever tried to do a post like this before and it was much more time consuming (adding the photos and whatnot) then I thought it would be. Fun though. I hope it was worth it.

BOJ

Comments:
You left out all the groupie stuff!
 
For the most part, this blog is rated PG-13. Some stuff I just have to leave out.......
 
Oh yeah. Sometimes I forget where I am.
 
You really should have an alternate blog where you can write about all your dancing with the kaiser activities!

Did you stop at the Spam Museum?
 
Your no fun, come on... give us the juicy tidbits; or has life on the road jaded you? I see, your too good for us now!
 
We did not stop at the Spam Museum. I lived just a few miles down the road from Austin, but I never saw the museum and never attended SpamFest. I have lots of regrets in my life, but not attending a festival dedicated to my favorite canned luncheon meat is pretty high on the list.

The face of the Virgin Mary apparently showed itself in a tree a couple of blocks from where we were staying in Chicago. There was a little shrine put up, people left offerings and the like. Mike and I tried to find it but couldn't, our urban survival skills once again lacking. I even took the "Buddy Christ" hoping to take a photo of the two together. Another regret right up there with missing SpamFest......
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives