Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

Damn It, I Hate Fox Sports


Forget 666, this is the Mark of the Beast!
Normally I'm able to avoid sports on the Fox Network. The last couple of weeks have been tough, though with the World Series, watching Vikings games for new Tice material and the Broncos playing Philadelphia at home. Yeah, after two weeks, I realize why I avoid sports on Fox, it gives me a headache.

I'll start with the World Series and baseball in general. I'll start off by making a very non-Mega-Bitch Tuesday comment, I love Fox's primary baseball team of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. I probably like ESPN's Sunday night team of Joe Morgan and John Miller more, but Buck and McCarver approach the game with a sense of humor that reminds us that it is just a game. In an era of multi-million dollar contracts we sometimes seem to forget that. And for real fun, catch them on ESPN's PTI sometime.

A fine announce team can't make up for the complete CF that Fox has turned their baseball games into. First of all, it's the hype. OK, it's hard to overhype a World Series game, but in July for instance, I believe it's impossible to have a "Battle for the ages" between two third place teams. You've got talking baseballs and graphics everywhere. The graphics wouldn't be so bad, they provide information that allows the announcer not have to note the count on a batter, but every graphic has it's own sound effect. Never mind that you've got a walk off home run (and I hate that term - maybe next week...) and the crowd is going nuts, we have to hear the Bling-Bling-Bloop as the score of the game changes in Fox's graphic in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

It's turned into a video game. Someone, more likely a committee of idiots, at Fox Sports decided that baseball would attract a younger, hipper, more affluent demographic if baseball looked and sounded more like a damn video game, and Fox Sports has done everything in their power to make that happen. You still hear the "crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd" promos for games on Fox, unfortunately when you watch a game you can hear neither because of all the damn sound effects. In my opinion, Fox is ruining baseball and that would be cause for alarm except that baseball with over-expansion and it's lax attitude toward steroids is ruining itself.

Now football lends itself a little more to this type of nonsense. I don't like it any better, though. Football has always been the perfect game for television. There's action for about 10 seconds then there's 30 seconds for replays and analysis. It's worked pretty well on TV for the entire Super Bowl era. Fox got an NFL television contract in the early 90's and promised to deliver "Football with a Fox Attitude." Unfortunately for us, they followed through on that threat. All the sound effects and all the graphics and all the hype, I just hate it.

The biggest sin of Fox Sports' Football coverage is their use of the "Game Break." It's a long standing tradition in TV Football coverage to show a highlight from another game that's going on, "Denver's ahead here, but let's take a look at what's going on in San Diego, where the Kansas City Chiefs are trying to keep pace with the Broncos in the AFC West." These "Game Breaks" used to actually have a meaning, now we see end zone celebrations, we see plays from games that mean nothing to anybody. Worse yet, we see highlights, not from games in progress, oh no, we see highlights from games that have been completed for an hour or more. Look, you've only got 30 seconds or so before the next play in our game, talk about our game or something that's happening now. Don't show me something that happened two hours ago. I saw that two hours ago, or at the very least, during halftime of the previous game.

The very worst example of this was last Thanksgiving when Fox, who had the early game, broke into their game to show highlights of games that had occured FOUR DAYS BEFORE!!!!!!! We live in a highlight crazy culture, Fox is not to blame for that, ESPN is, anything you show from four days earlier, well, we've already seen it - about 40 times. Why would you bother? Why would you take me away from a game in progress to show me something I've already seen ad nauseum? You've got 30 seconds until the next play, show me something I haven't seen. Maybe something from the game I'm watching now. Maybe the last play, from a different angle. At the very least, give me some analysis, why did or didn't that play work?

I pick on Fox Sports here. They aren't the only ones pulling this crap, but they pretty much started it and they are by far the worst at it.

BOJ

Comments:
Well. Damn those video games! Why don't you just play football or baseball. Frisbee is great but it does have dangerous side effects such as the desire to smoke funny cigarettes. Better yet, throw the damn TV out. Broadcast organized athletic competition is cultural brainwashing at its very best. Rome. I should apologize for my lack of proper ,:;"'/ but what the hell. It's just me.
 
This is about sports and it's bitchy so it must be Tuesday. All I can say is, we lost at volleyball. The last game should have been ours, we traded game point serves three times! There is something positive, though, I played really well! If it wasn't for the $2 margaritas at O'Hares on Tuesday nights I don't know if it would be worth the humiliation. Even more humiliating is the fact that I bothered to shave my legs today! I'm considering the winter hair-growing experiment but there I was, shaving without thinking about it and no one nearby to appreciate the fact that I did it. There, that was kind of bitchy so I'll stop now. One last thing, I'm considering shaving my head as a sort of rite-of-passage thing when my divorce is final. What do you guys think? Is there anything remotely sexy or attractive about a bald woman? Or, would you have suggestions for some other definitive thing for me to do?
 
In honor of Recipe Wednesday and the fact that it's a balmy 68 degrees on this bright November day, I'm sharing my favorite tropical drink recipe.

12-16 oz. glass, 3/4 full of ice
1 1/2 shots Bacardi silver label rum
Fill glass halfway with orange juice
Fill near to the top with Squirt
Leave room at the top for a splash of Kahlua and 2 Tablespoons of half & half

If you want to get fancy, place a skewer of pineapple, cherry and a mandarin orange slice in your drink. If you're feeling particularly festive, poke one of those cute little paper umbrellas in there, too.

This is also enjoyable w/o the rum, if you're so inclined.
 
In honor of Recipe Wednesday and the fact that it's a balmy 68 degrees on this bright November day, I'm sharing my favorite tropical drink recipe.

12-16 oz. glass, 3/4 full of ice
1 1/2 shots Bacardi silver label rum
Fill glass halfway with orange juice
Fill near to the top with Squirt
Leave room at the top for a splash of Kahlua and 2 Tablespoons of half & half

If you want to get fancy, place a skewer of pineapple, cherry and a mandarin orange slice in your drink. If you're feeling particularly festive, poke one of those cute little paper umbrellas in there, too.

This is also enjoyable w/o the rum, if you're so inclined.
 
Why did that post twice?
 
1gal, the bald look is interesting, but, DON'T DO IT!
 
Sorry, away from home for most of the day. With school and open mic on Wednesdays, I may have to change Recipe Wednesday to Recipe Some Other Day of the Week. But in the spirit of the day:

Chicken Feta Pizza

1 Foccacia Crust (I make my own)
Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Mozzerella Cheese
Grilled Chicken Breast (or two)
1 Tomato sliced or diced
8 oz. Feta Cheese

Brush Olive Oil onto foccacia. Top with 3/4 cup mozzerella chees. Add grilled chicken, tomato and feta. Cover with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.

Variations/Additions:

Replace grilled chicken with grilled eggplant
Add marinated artichoke hearts (mmmmmm)
Add fresh basil to top of pizza before baking

I don't know, people absolutely seem to love this!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives