Thursday, November 10, 2005

 

Brief Recipe Thursday

Alright, I'm going to be out of town all day Thursday, out selling my soul as it were. It may turn into a great Mega-Bitch Tuesday topic, stay tuned. To keep up appearances that I'm an actual caring Blog-parent, I'm going to fulfill the Recipe Thursday promise that, in truth, I only made as a joke. So, without further Apu, here's this week's recipe:

"The Can"


1 Empty and clean 2 lb. coffee can
1 handful of ice(cubes are fine)
1 can 7-Up (or lemon-lime soda)
1 can Squirt (or other comperable sour mix)
Gin (I wouldn't go with the good stuff here)


In a clean dry place, add handful of ice to coffee can. When ice has settled (?) pour can of 7-Up and can of Squirt into coffee can. Fill to top with gin. Enjoy with (many) friends.

This is an old family recipe, that got resurected in my parents' neighborhood. While I was in college, good portions of my summer break were spent "passing the can" with the folks from the neighborhood. This was purely an outdoor, summertime activity, though a tradition was started in the neighborhood. Our neighbor, whose garage is cleaner than any part of my house, would fire up the wood stove in his garage on the last Saturday in January. Once the temperature had approached those that are found naturally in summer, the first can of the new year was prepared and enjoyed by the assembled masses.

Can passing is serious business, and you must pass the can. If too many people are around, it may be a while before the can gets back to you. During that time, I like to drink a beer, but do what ever comes naturally.

Also, make sure you have enough people around. Too few can passers can mean the can gets to you way too often. If you should decide you'd like to keep the can a little longer when it is your turn, drink for someone you wish was passing the can with you. Drink for them everytime the can come back around.

I think it's in poor taste to have any more than 3 cans on any given evening. I've been around when it was done, and it got a little messy. Take a tip from me, and just don't do it.

Worried about germs? Any bug that could live in that much gin, well, I'd feel honored to have it in my mouth......

BOJ

Comments:
I don't know about other German restaurants, but at Gasthof zur Gemultlichkeit in north Minneapolis, there is a ritual involving passing a 2 liter glass boot filled with your choice of beer around the table. There are very specific rules about how you drink from the boot & how you pass it to the person next to you. The boot must never, never be set down! If you violate any of these rules you have to finish drinking all of the beer remaining in the boot! In addition to other drinking going on at this table of seven wild women, we also consumed the contents of three boots. It was a great deal of fun and I was just glad I wasn't driving. At the end of the meal, we were offered a shot of snoose in a very interesting way. I declined, having at the time (and still to this day) never consumed a tobacco product, I didn't think it was time to start. The boot full of beer was enough of an experience for that night. Whether from a coffee can or a glass boot, communal drinking can certainly be a bonding experience.
 
When it comes to beer, I sort of keep it too myself. No one touches my beer, damn it!

Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit! Wow, it's been a year or two since I've been to that place. My second trip there was easily the most memorable. The strolling accordian player played The Venures' Whipeout! on the old squeeze box, the group I was with (lead by a drummer, of course) started banging on the table for the drum solo. Everyone (I hope) thought it was the coolest thing they'd ever seen and joined in. After that, I sang Du, Du, Lingst Mir im Herzen with the accordian player. I don't think I paid for a drink the rest of the night. We also got offered the snuff , though in a rather uninteresting fashion. I had done that before and didn't much care for. No one else took it either. I left the place as a minor celebrity.
 
But did you get to waltz with the Kaiser? I did!
 
"Waltz with the Kaiser?" Is that what the kids are calling it these days? OK, I know that's not how you meant it, but that is the coolest euphamism for sex I've ever heard. I'm going to start using it. You know, like, "Gutten Abend, Fraulein. Whadaya say we split this joint and head back to my place. You could 'waltz with the kaiser' for a while and if you play your cards right, maybe I'll occupy your Rhineland......"
 
You are indeed a very sick man! I just laughed so hard I'm crying! I'll start using it on this end of the state, you start using it there, and we'll see how far it spreads. I'm going to have to take a look at the closing credits for Grumpy Old Men again. I'm almost certain walzing with the kaiser is one they missed!!
 
I immediately thought of it as a euphamism for sex, the hard part was phrasing it in an unoffensive enough way for the high standards of the Globex Corporation Newsletter. Also I couldn't decide between 'occupy your Rhineland' or 'occupy your Sudatenland.' Decision made when I decided I dislike the French more than the Czechs.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives