Monday, October 10, 2005

 

Yet Another Positive Day

When I thought about making a Positive Day post today, I first considered how difficult it would be. I've pretty much been in bed since leaving the poker game at the TSA compound on Saturday night. I came down with something, lord I don't know what, that I wouldn't wish on anyone, not even Jimmy Kusyk (smile MonyP, that's how bad this really was). So I spent the last day and a half in bed in the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Predictably, I made a graph in an attempt to show you, the fine readers of The Globex Corporation Newsletter just how bad I felt.


paingraph


Yeah, generally much worse than the crippling emotional pain of a divorce or even the aftermath of a really bad Mexican meal. Hopefully the point of the graph is clear, I really hurt and bad.

I called my folks at about 8am on Sunday morning, I was pretty dehydrated by the rapid expulsion of fluids from every part of my body and was pretty sure that Jesus was now playing tight end for the Denver Broncos (though I was convinced he was a step down from Shannon Sharpe). I didn't have anything to drink in the apartment and was actually to tired to get out of bed if I did. My folks were setting up the coffee and doughnuts at church, but my Mom came down to my place after Dad got started up at the church. My mother has had both knees and one hip replaced in the past 5 years and is scheduled to have the other hip replaced in a couple of months. Yet, she climbed two flights of stairs with a grocery sack full of stuff that a sick boy needed. She had come down with the same thing this past week, so she knew how bad off I probably was. Still, I was quite moved that she went through all of the trouble. She brought apple juice and some pain killers, but mostly she was just there, sitting with me for a few minutes, making me feel better by just her being there.

I hadn't been able to sleep the whole night before, but found myself able to get some rest after she left. Dad stopped by after church to make sure I was OK and they called a couple more times before they went to bed. Other people have called to make sure I'm OK or ask if I need anything. When I left TSA's on Saturday night, my nephew offered to drive me home. Sometimes I get mired in self pitty, thinking nobody cares about me or anything I do. Something like this proves to me that they do, and makes me realize that the people in my life are always there, even when I don't need them, sometimes when I don't even want them around.

But it also reminds me how much I need the people in my life. I'd most assuredly be insane by now if I weren't playing music with Andy and Mike and anyone else who asks me to play with them. I'm not really good at asking for help, even when I really, really need it, but the people around me have always been able to tell.

So, for the first time, I'm writing one of these Positive Day posts without being snide, without using it as a gimmick to be my same old negative self in a new and interesting way and without mentioning Vikings Coach Mike Tice until now. I'm very grateful for everything everyone has done for me and I'm sorry I haven't always noticed like I should.

This isn't a turnaround on this blog. I'm still who I am, and I'll continue to write the way I always do. I'm sure I'll continue to find plenty in the world to bitch about, and I will bitch. Maybe I'll take Positive Day a little more seriously, then again, maybe I won't. In either case, I'll try to notice a little more of the good that's all around me.

BOJ

Comments:
According to the graph, you were held in the grippe of the dreaded Parabolic Intestinal Flu. If you were practicing safe hex you wouldn't be picking up these nasty viruses. Hope you can keep a beer down soon.
 
"Parabolic Intenstinal Flu." Brilliant!

I guess the shape of graph was inspired by the flight of substances as they exited my body, thoug I'm sure nobody wanted to hear that.

No more unsafe hex for me, it's strictly binary from now on......
 
Get well.
 
Thanks One Guy. I felt a little better today and even worked a half day. It was a half day with eighth graders, so it just about killed me.

I'm scheduled for sixth graders for the next three days. I'm going to try to at least get into work tomorrow. It's an old TV trick, go to work even though you don't feel good, then realize that it's too much trouble to get anyone to cover for you so you end up working the whole day anyway. Sort of like tricking yourself into feeling well enough to work. I'm very suggestable.

Yes, I'm very suggestable......
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives