Wednesday, October 19, 2005

 

This Should Have Been My Positive Day Post


The next Mrs. "Blind Orange" Julius? I could only be so lucky.....
If you've heard of Sue Foley, it was more than likely from me. I only found out about her by accident when I received an Antone's Records sampler CD with my subscription to Blues Review magazine. There's was a lot of cool music on that CD, great stuff by Lewis Cowdrey, Doug Sahm and Candy Kayne, but it was Sue Foley's cover of Muddy Waters' Give Me Time that really caught my attention. Muddy Waters always has this bravado in his music, he always cultured the image of some sort of delta super-stud in his music. Sue's cover of Muddy's song was completely different. I always describe her as having a "little girl" voice. I'm sure it puts some people off, to me, it's sexy as hell. And on a song like Give Me Time it turns the whole attitude of the song on it's head.

So I became a Sue Foley devotee. As much as I enjoy her singing, it's her guitar playing that makes her special. As much as I enjoy her singing, I actually enjoy her instrumentals even more. Unlike her cover of Muddy Waters' Give Me Time, when Sue covers an instrumental by the likes of Earl Hooker of LIghtnin' Hopkins, it's in the same "ballsy" style. Close your eyes when you hear her play and you'd swear it was Earl Hooker on stage.

I try not to close my eyes when I'm around Sue Foley, however. It's not only her voice that I find sexy. For me she's the total package, she sings, plays guitar and is a tireless support of the blues, particularly women in the blues, a subject that's always been pretty close to my heart. In my opinion, Sue Foley should be mentioned with the great blues women of all time, Big Mama Thorton, Ma Rainey, Koko Taylor, Bessie Smith, Lucille Bogan and the rest. If you don't know those names, check them all out (particularly the last one, some of the raunchiest music ever put on vinyl!). Women have always had a different take on the blues than men, one I've always really enjoyed.

BOJ

Comments:
So are you saying that you like raunchy women? Or women that are blue? I like the shimmering green ones. Where is this girl playing?
 
If you pronounce my first name backwards...duh. So I clicked on the link you so thoughtfully, considerately, possibly lustfully provided.
 
What about Bonnie Raitt?
 
I thought about Bonnie Raitt while I was in my car after writing this post and realized almost everything I wrote about Sue Foley I could write about Bonnie Raitt. For my money, Bonnie Raitt is the best slide player out there. There are lots of arguements, there are all kinds of great slide players, but Bonnie's play is subtle, I'm not a huge fan of slide, but it has it's place. Bonnie and I seem to agree on it's place.

Bonnie Raitt has moved away from pure blues in recent years (so has Sue Foley, for that matter), but has always paid appropriate respect to the greats of the past and present. In that way she's a lot like Bonnie Raitt. Maybe that's just one more thing I like about Sue Foley: she reminds me of Bonnie Raitt.
 
Bonnie is way cool.
 
The Wild Women in the Kitchen, a now defunct musical/comedy troupe I was a founding member of, used to have this great party called the Big Hoo-Hah out here. That's how I met Willy, his band was the entertainment for four years. The WWitK would honor a woman we admired each year, and one year we invited Bonnie Raitt. She wasn't able to attend but I have a really nice letter on her letterhead from her personal manager. I'm thinking about framing it and hanging it up. As far as her music goes, she does honor the blues roots, but I think every artist needs to be allowed to expand their horizons and do new things without being derided for "abandoning" where they came from. The blues came about because some music pioneers broke away from what was popular and went their own direction, put a new twist on things. All art is fluid, not concrete!
 
I wouldn't think of deriding Bonnie Raitt for moving on musically. The album that really made me notice Sue Foley was "Love Comin' Down" which is decidedly not a blues record when all of her releases on Antone's up to that point had been. I actually liked that she had moved on a little bit. Bonnie Raitt did the same and she had her biggest commercial successes with "Nick of Time" and "Luck of the Draw." Great albums and good for her getting the notice that she so richly deserved after years of being a great artist that the average person on the street hadn't heard of. She did it without selling out, too, which makes it that much better. She was still making really great music, does to this day, in fact.

I have an autographed photo of Alex Trebek. I wish there was a cooler story to go with it, but my friend MonyP knew his wardrobe person and she got him to sign it for me. MonyP also stole a desk off of the judges' table in the studio, so now I also own a pen that was likely to be used in writing some of the questions on the show. You know, actually that is a pretty good story.
 
MonyP stole a pen off of the judges' table. If she had somehow managed to steal a desk, that would have been a GREAT story!
 
I have a friend who once snuck a pizza into a movie under her poncho. Not as amazing as the idea of walking out with a desk, but pretty good. If you've seen Miss Congeniality, the funniest part of the movie IMHO was when she produced all manner of weapons, really a complete personal arsenal, from under her clingy evening gown. Not possible but highly amusing. And, one guy, if you like green women I have some truly hideous photos of me in a witch costume from last Halloween. Yes, I'm all shimmery and green!
 
My favorite Bonnie Raitt album to this day is Fundamental. It rocks, it rolls, she moans and howls. She's such an amazing vocalist that sometimes I forget she's playing kick-ass guitar, too. I still haven't seen her live, I should focus on making that happen!
 
Got a little free PR in the new Rapid City Weekly paper of information and advertising revenue. Good. "What?", you ask, has some photographer stepped over the line? Don't know about that, but You and Mike are a lovely couple. (Tongue way in cheek).
 
I saw that last night down at Dunn Bros. I looked at the cover and thought, "hey a story about open mics, is that Shawn Bitz?" It wasn't the best photo and it was a little dark where I was standing. I look inside and thought, "Aha, it's a story about Mike." Then I read some more and thought, "What the hell am I being mentioned for?" Then I saw the picture. This whole anonymity thing isn't going as planned......

This is a really stupid little thing, but I can tell what song we're doing because I'm holding two harmonicas. I only play two harmonicas on one song, so a little detective work......
 
Two harmonicas, two condoms...is this a theme?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives