Thursday, October 06, 2005

 

I'm Sending a Resume to Greenpeace


Poorly done political satire photo courtesy of Greenpeace.
I could discuss the morality of John Thune receiving the second largest amount of congressional campaign contributions from the oil and gas industry in the last election, and maybe someday I will. The reason you see the photo to your right, however, has very little to do with politics. It actually has a lot more to do with my last post. The point I want to make is that somebody got paid to make that piece of crap. Yeah, Greenpeace is a non-profit enterprise, but if you think they don't pay their full time employees, and probably pretty well, you're just naive. With the help of TSA I run a little graphic political humor blog called BOJ News Service, where we do a lot of this type of stuff. Neither TSA or I are professional graphic artists, we just do this type of stuff because we enjoy doing it.

Look at the heads on those bodies. Do you for a minute believe that this is a real photo? I have only posted a couple of items that I consider poor quality, the Gilligan's Island post approaching this item by Greenpeace in it's lack of quality. Someone is getting paid a pretty good salary to churn out this sort of crap, but I'm giving high quality stuff away for free.

I've applied for jobs in the graphic arts field. At first I'd take a little portpholio to interviews. One printer in town refused to even look at it since I didn't have the training or experience she was looking for. One was polite enough to look at it but didn't give me the job for the same reason (that same guy, with no experience in television news, is currently anchoring the "KNBN-TV Amateur Half-Hour News," the job he didn't hire me for has been open two additional times since I wasn't hired).

It was brought up to the editorial staf at the Rapid City Journal to pay me for some of my political stuff on a freelance basis. While I haven't been told 'no' as of yet, I'm sure that's the answer as this whole thing came up about a year ago. They wonder why I don't post 'blogtoons' on Mt. Blogmore anymore. Sorry folks, it's a little frustrating to give stuff away for free, particularly when I see people getting paid for work that's not as good as mine. I do want to thank Bill Harlan of The Journal for supporting my work, giving me a place to do my thing before I started BOJ News Service, and his efforts to get me into the "dead tree" edition of the daily paper are certainly appreciated.

Likewise, I appreciate the attention BOJ News Service has received from other political blogs around the state. Getting recognized as a "Must Read" on Todd Epp's S.D. Watch was really cool since his readership is a whole lot higher than mine. I appreciate all of the South Dakota blogs that link to us (a South Dakota 123 listing would be nice, I link to you for heaven's sake). I even like it when Sibby steals my stuff from Mt. Blogmore and posts it on his site, crediting them, not me. Hell, I just like people seeing my stuff, I don't care how they see it.

The warm feeling I get from all of that is great, but it don't pay the bills. If I weren't good enough, and I have my doubts that I am good enough, that would be one thing. When I see some moron at Greenpeace doing work far inferior to mine, and getting paid for it, well, that's kind of hard to take.

I wish I was incompetent instead of being an asshole.

BOJ

Comments:
Take it from a guy qho has known a lot of incompetent assholes, you are niether. Don't bother trying harder, you just don't have it in you. What really sucks is being a good guy.
 
What does any of that have to do with Greenpeace?!?

I thought you were going to tell us how you drilled a hole in their boat and then informed the hippies how you'd been smoking harmless tabacco all the time...

I like kittens...
 
The whole damn blog was about incompetent assholes. The Greenpeace thing was just an example. Tobacco is not harmless.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives