Thursday, September 22, 2005

 

If You'd Have Seen Her, You'd Know Why She Had a Bad Back....

I've been recognized before for playing music. Some high school age kids came into Dunn Bros. one night, saw Andy and I and wanted to know where the other guy was. They had seen us a Patient 957 and I was a little sad to tell them that P957 was no more. P957 had only played one venue that guys that age could have seen us, but these guys had, and better yet remembered and liked us.

Last night I stopped into Paddy O'Neil's to catch a little Abby SomeWhat, the ASO acoustic side project consisting of Shawn and whoever else in the band can make it to a show. With GF1 out of town it was Josh and Bill Brown with Shawn last night. OK, Bill isn't in ASO, but he's such a great guy that why wouldn't you have him play with you. Plus he has the very best toys. Anyway, I went over to talk to Willy Grigg at the set break and a guy sitting with Willy looked at me and said "Slappy is Jebus!" I really wasn't expecting that, but it was pretty cool to be recognized for something that I just do for fun.

I think I also got recognized once by a woman in the clinic who was there for a bad back. I'm not sure because she was stooped over and obviously in a lot of pain but she seemed to know who I was. TSA has the coolest getting recognized story though as, while stopped at a red light, a driver in the other lane honked, motioned for Andy to roll down his window then shouted "Brain Candy!" Damn, why can't something cool like that happen to me? My luck, I'd be at a funeral or some other somber event and someone would shout "Two Condoms!" But you take what you can get, I guess.

Decent open mic at Dunn Bros. last night. Slow at first, but it picked up as the night wore on. Why that place doesn't stay open until 11 or midnight as people are always walking in at about 9:30 with a guitar and wanting to play. Then again, most people are walking out at about the same time. Anyway got to see a lot of the same old faces, plus Cheers vet and B-1 pilot Ivan Vian (the anagram lover's guitar player). TSA and I closed it down once again, starting off with Locomotive Breath, a song which I somehow have forgotten a verse and a half of. I got it back today in the shower, but still, it's a cool song that we should really be doing more. We follwed that up with Who's Been Talkin' and finished with Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus. The final song is turning into our Cobra Commander, as it's our most controversial, eliciting a strongly worded email to the Heritage Festival management. WOOO Controvery! Of course a strongly worded email is not comparisson to a very real fear for your bodily safety. Make fun of a cartoon character and old vets want to kill you, sing a song about mistaking someone for Jesus in a bar and vendors complain. Yeah, I think we'll stick with the religious material if for no other reason than our personal safety.

BOJ

Comments:
These days, touting personal safety as the foundation of YOUR new religion might be as good a method as any for getting rich quick. If your tongue didn't get too far "in cheek" it could be fairly harmless. Or, you could get stuck taking over the world.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives