Thursday, August 25, 2005

 

Good Thing It's Not 1983.....


If it were 1983, I don't think
anybody would have showed for our
little open mic or Abby SomeOne's
show at Philly's. Good thing time
travel is impossible.....
There's a lot going on in the RC right now, most notably the Central States Fair. The Fair is a really great even for a city our size and they do a pretty good job bringing in big name acts. Being a fair in the norhtern plains, most of those acts tend to be country. Hey, that's OK with me, I'm not complaining and they draw really well with the fair crowd, which is the point afterall. They throw the rest of us a bone every now and then, this year it was Lynard Skynard. I know, I know, they're hardly Skynard anymore, but the fair board is trying, good for them.

Skynard has cancelled a bunch of dates this month due to an illness in the band and this week it was announced that they were canceling their Central States Fair show as well, but the replacement lined up was a double bill of Loverboy and Foreigner.

If this were 1983 a Loverboy/Foreigner would have destroyed our little open mic at Dunn Bros. last night. Luckily, it's whatever year this is and it seemed to have no effect. Good show last night, a full slate of performers with a couple of newbies, most notably Jody who I've seen at Cheers quite a few times. Amanda put on a wonderful show again, her voice gets stronger everytime I hear it. She's playing at the fair today and tomorrow, shows that I'll have to miss because of other stuff going on in my meaningless life.

TSA showed up at the appointed time, but I could tell he'd had trouble at work. When he has trouble at work, it's a little more intense when you or I have trouble at work and it effects him quite a bit. He played through it though. We lead off with Two Condoms, by request and approval of Mike (no one's parents were in the shop anymore), then did a little Me and Julio by request (no approval needed) and finished up with Got My Mojo Workin', we comboed the middle part playing Who Do You Love, Loser and Magic Bus in the breakdown. Cool! Now the goal is to turn Mojo into a 20 minute song with all of the stuff we throw into it. We can pretty easily do it, too. Our performance of it at the Heritage Festival was over 9 minutes with the addition of The Story of One Chord, so an extra 10 minutes or so wouldn't be too difficult, we're full of stupid ideas.

Dropped by Philly's after the open mic to catch an ASO set. They were a three piece last night with Chambers in Alabama visiting family. I hadn't seen them since Doc left the band, but was quite pleased with the full sound they produced as a three piece, much more layed back then other times I've seen them. I really like that kind of sound and it fits them well.

It's off to Mike's this morning for some work on harmonies (and I need lots of work). We're getting together with Joe tonight for some more practice for the show at The Flatiron in Hot Springs on Saturday. Just found out from Mike that we're playing Uncle Tom's in Keystone tomorrow night. For me that will be a full day as I'm subbing a full day tomorrow at the high school. At least there's nearly 3 hours between the two events so I can decompress a little before trying to play music. I hope the kids take it easy on me......

BOJ

Comments:
I'd go back to 1983, it was an okay year as far as I'm concerned. Although I also have a problem with distinguishing 1985 from 1986. Maybe this is more pervasive than we think. Maybe that's when global domination actually occurred and this is just derivative, like Milli Vanilli.
 
1983, last year in high school, which was no good, but first year of college which was great. Time in the bar got a big head start over time spent studying and wasn't surpassed until sometime in 1986 (or was that 1985?).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives