Monday, July 25, 2005

 

Who Let the Dog Out?!?

Damn, I'm wearing long pants and a long sleeved shirt! How long has it been since I've done that? I certainly hope that this weather has helped with the fire on the old Hill City road between Hill City and Keystone. They closed HWY 16 for a while yesterday because of the fire. Since I'll be going up 16 later today I hope it's open again. I'm sneaky and know a couple of alternate routes to get to Keystone. The old Rockerville road comes to mind right away but I can think of 3 other ways without too much thought. It started raining a little while ago and we've so far avided the ligtning that tends to go with it at this time of year. Good weather for firefighting if the lightning holds off.

I just got back from letting Wally out. No, "letting Wally out" isn't some sort of sexual innuendo, I'm watching a friend's dog while she's in California for the week. He's a really good guy and I've tried to spend a lot of time with him as he seems to be a real people dog. He seems so appreciative to see me, damn that's a good feeling. You forget about the unconditional love of a pet when you're not around one for a while. Don't get me wrong, Wally would probably be just as friendly with someone who would break into the house, but I feel really good when I'm the recipient of his affection.

There's less than 100 songs left on my MP3 plaer that I haven't heard. A while back I made a playlist of all of the songs that it had never played. At that time there were over 1400 song (about one third of the songs I've encoded) that had never been played in there entirety. Keep in mind that most of these tracks are from my CD collection. Just because my MP3 player hadn't played them doesn't mean I've never heard them before. Still with some of the tracks it had been a long time. I used to absolutely love the Kim Wilson fronted band The Fabulous Thunderbirds. It had probably been a couple of years since I listened to any of those tracks.

Kim Wilson is a great harp player. I had numerous opportunities to see him live when I lived in California. He often played a bar a few blocks from my house. The same bar was often frequented by another harp player, James Harman. I always like Harman better than Wilson, but seeing them live really drove that point home. As good as Wilson is, Harman is twice as good plus he's a better songwriter and band leader to boot. The sad thing is that since The Fab T-Birds had a couple of top 40 hits in the '80's, those reading this are much more likely to have heard of Kim Wilson. Harman appeared on Late Night with David Letterman with ZZ Top about 15 years ago which is the only place 99% of the population would have ever seen him. Too bad. Anyone who can write a song based on something he read off of the side of a locksmith's van while stuck in traffic (Lock Doctor) or lines from TV phone sex ads (Hollywood Girls) is a freakin' musical genius. And to name an instrumental after a particular push-button automatic transmission (Torqueflite 727) simply has the quirky musical sense that I really enjoy. Tuff Enuff? Wrap it Up? The T-Birds were great, but they can't hold a candal to The James Harman Band. Too bad nobody's heard of them.

Someday talent will actually count for something with the american public. Until then, I've gotta let Wally out if you know what I mean....

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives